I was able to get android builds to work inside my windows VM. and have some more troubleshooting details.
I did not mention this before but I am NOT using RhoStudio, I use Sublimetext and command line. I installed the gems manually from the RMS dmg. And I use rbenv to manage my ruby environments.
It appears that at some point during the build process it ignores my environmental variables and starts using the system installed ruby and not my rbenv installed ruby
running rake device:android:production --trace shows as part of the trace
/Users/melston/.rbenv/versions/1.9.3-p429/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rhodes-4.0.0/lib/commonAPI/coreapi/ext/platform/android/Rakefile:48:in `block in <top (required)>'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rake/task.rb:228:in `block in execute'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rake/task.rb:166:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain'
is what comes with Mac OS X 10.9. the rhodes gems are not installed system wide, only installed in my 1.9.3 rbenv gemset
I found a workaround for Mac OS X 10.9
the system installed ruby is in fact interfering with the rake tasks. doing the following has allowed me to build, though this may cause problems with any ruby apps that rely on the system rake command
- change dir to `cd /usr/bin`
- rename system rake command for backup `sudo mv rake rake2`
- symlink rbenv rake shim `sudo ln -s /Users/melston/.rbenv/shims/rake rake`
Android builds now succeeded.