4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 12:04 PM by Jon Tara

ios7 tranparency on datepickers

Lisa Tassone

Hi There,

Does Rho have a way to control the transparent background on the ios7 datepickers? Is there some setting to use in the .plist file?  I don't know why Apple thought that transparent UI elements overlapping content would be a swell idea.  It makes it hard to see what you are actually selecting.

Any help much appreciated.

• Re: ios7 tranparency on datepickers
          Jon Tara

You must be using Rhodes 3.x, because the Data Picker was removed in 4.0. You need to find a Javascript  date picker to use.

I'd suggest preparing for a future update and doing that now. I don't think there will be any further updates to 3.x.

Lisa Tassone

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.  I have built both versions and it doesn't make a difference. There are datepicker classes in Rhodes 4 for ios that I can see and I have tried tweaking a couple of the UI variables but there doesn't seem an easy way to make the date section a solid color.  It seems rather limiting that one cannot simply specify this and has to instead implement a whole other datepicker to change a background color...

Jon Tara

I stand corrected on both counts!

because the Data Picker was removed in 4.0.

I was basing this on one of our own internal Issues for our project. We'd concluded one of our tasks for updating to 4.0 was to find a suitable HTML5 date picker. Maybe plans changed, or it was reintroduced post-4.0 beta. (Beta being the last time we visited 4.0.) I'll need to investigate and update our Issue.

I think, though, this is just a wrapper around the native iOS date picker. And this is the way Apple thinks it ought to look. I think it's unusable, myself. It drives me crazy, and I've seen it in many apps other than our own.

We still aren't ready for 4.0, but (see next point) we're about to start building for iOS 7.0, and I suspect we will face the same issue. So, I suspect I'll be looking into this, and will post a solution if I find one.

I don't think there will be any further updates to 3.x

I hadn't looked at the repo recently. It turns out that the changes to build with XCode5 for iOS7 were back-ported to 3.5 in late November, and there were some updates in January for Android. So 3.5 isn't quite dead yet!

If you want to use the latest, you need to check-out the repo and build the Gem yourself.