11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 3:05 AM by Mark Nongkhlaw

Kitchen Sink .XAP File

Mark Nongkhlaw

I know there's  .cab and .apk versions of the Kitchen Sink app. Would anybody be so kind as to build and make available for us a WP8 .XAP version of the same for testing purposes, please?

• Re: Kitchen Sink .XAP File
          Kutir Mobility

Hi Mark,

To my knowledge, Kitchen Sink .XAP File is not available. you can download application from https://github.com/rhomobile/rho-samples and build it locally.

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

Mark Nongkhlaw

I know the source. Unfortunately, I dont have a Windows 8 PC!

Hence the request.

BHAKTA RANJAN SATAPATHY

Hi Mark,

We can not simple install .xap file on WP8.

We need to deploy to device by using rake run:wp8:device

Thanks

Mark Nongkhlaw

Of course we can. You need a Dev Center account after which you can upload the XAP and send the deployed app to yourself via a link.

I already have a Dev Center account.

• Re: Re: Kitchen Sink .XAP File
                          BHAKTA RANJAN SATAPATHY

Hi Mark,

Find the attached .xap file.

Thanks

Mark Nongkhlaw

Super! Thank you, Bhakta.

Mark Nongkhlaw

Hi Bhakta,

Unfortunately there were errors in processing the XAP at the Windows Phone Dev Center. I suppose these will be very useful for evaluation of Windows Phone apps developed using Rho and whether they really meet the requirements of Windows Phone Store. Details :

The Package Processing for the package failed.

Validation errors

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-0.dll:FormatMessageA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:GetLogicalDrives() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-processthreads-l1-1-1.dll:OpenProcess() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:GetFileInformationByHandle() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:GetFileType() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:LocalFileTimeToFileTime() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:CreateFileA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:CreateFileW() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:SetFilePointer() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:GetFileSize() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:GetFileAttributesExA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:GetFileAttributesW() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-debug-l1-1-1.dll:OutputDebugStringA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API WS2_32.dll:WSASocketA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:UnlockFile() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll:GetModuleHandleA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API WS2_32.dll:WSAEnumProtocolsA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:SetFileTime() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

3011: The package is missing RpalManifest.xml. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-0.dll:FindFirstFileExA() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l1-2-0.dll:GetVersionExW() isn’t allowed in assembly rhoruntime.dll. Update it and then try again.

Please refer to this page :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help/jj206735(v=vs.105).aspx#BKMK_XAPprocessingerrors

for troubleshooting information.

Is it possible for you to modify and re-build the XAP? Did it work with rake?

Kutir Mobility

Thanks for your findings on validations errors with Dev Center.

The potential fix/solution may help us all for WP8.

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

Mark Nongkhlaw

You are welcome, Visnupriya. Of course we will be happier when Dev Center accepts it.

Unfortunately, the error ID 3011 is not listed in that page I mentioned, but I believe Bhakta and his team will be able to troubleshoot.

FYKI, in the past I had deployed XAPs which I built using Windows 7 (i.e. for WP7 device) successfully in Dev Center and the apps also ran when installed in WP8 device. I had used Rhodes version 3.3.2 !

Hi Mark,

It looks like the restructuring of the projects within the WP8 solution in Rhodes is required to solve this problem, namely to separate C/C++ native code into one DLL and the managed C++ code into another DLL. At present in RMS 4.0 (and upcoming RMS 4.1) all the C/C++ code is linked into single DLL named rhoruntime.dll. It appears that this approach is incompatible with Windows Phone Store submission rules We will file a bug, but at this time I can't tell you exactly when we will be able to fix it... It's a major restructuring, so I guess it will be solved not earlier than in RMS 4.2.

If it's critical to you, you may try to fix it yourself. You may start from working with rhodes_dev.sln and moving all managed C++ code into separate DLL from 'rhoruntime' project (or on the contrary moving all the native code to separate DLL--it needs experimenting) and adding this new project to the dependencies list of 'rhodes' C# project and 'rhoruntime' project. This new project should depend on 'rhoruntime' project by itself. Note that to build rhodes_dev.sln from Visual Studio 2012 (or 2013) successfully first you need to run 'rake run:wp8' command to (re-)generate all the required temporary source files and also specify the path to your app at rhobuild.yml (env: app: ...) so the app files are included into resulting XAP by Visual Studio. When you succeed, you'll need to add the new project into rhodes.sln and test the result on the WP8 device using 'rake run:wp8:device' command.

Alternatively you may keep using WP7 builds of previous Rhodes versions (WP7 support has been actually dropped since RMS 4.0, so it's unlikely that WP7 build is possible at all in RMS 4.x).

Regards,

Albert

Mark Nongkhlaw

Hi Albert,

Thanks for detailed explanation.

That sounds like a lot of experimenting to do. Besides, I'm not a VS expert. Plus I don't have Windows 8 PC, VS2012/VS2013. And of course rake run:wp8:device would require my phone to be unlocked.

WP7 support in RMS 2.2 was flaky at best. There wasn't any support for AsyncHTTP, Links for SMS, Telephone, Email don't work at all, log is not viewable from device, Reset database did not work, seeding data from text files did not work, Camera, signature capture, NFC were not supported as well. I could go on...

Anyway, I'm happy that we're now better informed about WP support in general, because the documentation was missing a lot of things.

I'm just a little surprised that the dev team/test team missed testing out acceptability in the Windows Phone Store.

Regards,

Mark