3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2014 10:06 AM by Jon Tara

WebView resolution of 3rd party Web Pages differs between iOS and Android

Russell Carlton

When viewing a web page in a separate tab of my rhomobile application I get different behaviour on iOS and Android. iOS shows the whole page and you can zoom in but Android shows just a section of the page and you can't pull out to see the entire page. Looks like different RhoMobile WebView behaviour in each case. Is there a way of controlling the minimum resolution in Android version so that I can see the entire web page as per iOS?

• Re: WebView resolution of 3rd party Web Pages differs between iOS and Android
          Pietro Francesco Maggi

Hi Russel,

to better help you could be helpful understand:

1. Which version of RhoMobile are you using
          2. On which Android device you see the behaviour you describe
          3. Are you using the native browser or the motorola browser on Android

~Pietro

• Re: WebView resolution of 3rd party Web Pages differs between iOS and Android
              Russell Carlton

Hi Pietro,

We are using RhoMobile version 4.0

We see this behaviour on Samsung S4 and HTC One

I believe we are using the native browser.

What we are actually trying to do is to display a help page for the user of the app. The help page is on an external website and we use a tabbar so that the app user can switch back and forth between the app and the help page. For example:

tabbar = [

{:label => 'LME', :action => ‘/Master/Hedge’,   :reload => false, :selectedColor => 0x0  },

{:label => 'Web',  :action => ‘http://www.myhelp-page’,   :reload => false, :selectedColor => 0xC0C0C0 },

]

Rho::NativeTabbar.create(:tabs => tabbar, :backgroundColor => 0  )

Rho::NativeTabbar.switchTab(1)

The problem is that on Android systems the browser only shows a fraction of the help page and does not allow you to zoom out to see the whole page. A zoom control appears if you try and zoom out but the zoom out option  ( i.e. the ‘-‘) is greyed out indicating that you can’t zoom out any further

If you load the same page in the Android browser directly then the page is correctly shown in its entirety. When you ‘pinch’ the page in the Android browser the same zoom control does not appear – this is why I thought that RhoMobile must be influencing the behaviour of the browser from within the RhoMobile app.

Regards,

Russell