3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 10:16 PM by Kutir Mobility

Launch image woes on ios7

Tahir Zamir

Hi,

RhoStudio 4.1/XCode 5

iPhone 5 & iPad running IOS 7

I am trying to build an IOS7 iphone and ipad rhomobile app and I have been struggling with getting the splashscreen to behave correctly for the iphone.  The iPad is fine.

Different approaches have been tried, in all cases I have used rake tasks to clean, set up the xcode project build the app.  I have created all the right icons and launch image files and placed them in the suggested locations.  After running the rake clean and set up tasks, xcode only lists some of the image launch files in the target - general tab even though all the right filename requirements and resolutions have been employed.

I have tried using asset catalogues and placing all the image files into the slots.  This does lead to some success, however I find that the splash screen appears momentarily, disappears, leaves a blackscreen and then finally renders the app landing page.  Very disconcerting.

Interestingly, if I don't include a Default-568h@2x.png file then I get the lower res launch image (640 x 960) which does behave correctly however the app then runs in a window of the same dimensions with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

I have tried to manually amend the info.plist file and introduce UILaunchImage keys with sections for all the image files, their filenames and resolutions but without success.

The rhomobile documentation about icons and launch images doesn't appear to have been updated for some time.

Is there an established approach for how configure the rhomobile project and any corresponding pre-build steps that need to be taken in XCode to build an app for iphone for IOS7?

Regards,

Tahir

• Re: Launch image woes on ios7
          Kutir Mobility

Tahir,

What happens, when you directly specify(select file) from Xcode build settings page and then run the app ?

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

• Re: Launch image woes on ios7
              Tahir Zamir

Visnupriya,

I have the following files in my project/app folder:-

Default.png, Default@2x.png, Default-568h@2x.png, Default-Portrait.png, Default-Portrait@2x.png ... landscape etc

I run rake clean:iphone

and then rake build:iphone:setup_xcode_project

In XCode, the project is listed with the launch images for resolutions up to 640x960 but the 640x1136 image is missing.  The disk file itself has not been copied into the XCode project folder though the others have been.  I can manually copy the missing launch image file into the project folder using Finder and then add it to the project in XCode.  It then appears and is not reported as missing anymore.

I issue a rake device:iphone:production

The app.ipa file is generated but when I deploy it to an iphone 5 and run it, it shows the 640x960 launch image.  This does stay on the screen and smoothly transitions to the landing page without any black screen.  However, the app now runs in a 640x960 window with black bars above and beneath.

If I now go back to XCode I find that the 640x1136 launch image file is no longer a part of the project??  I can only surmise that the rake device:iphone:production process got rid of it.

Any thoughts?

Tahir