15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2014 3:03 AM by David Miller

My RHoHub Builds wont complete

Frank Bohac

Hi,

I have started 3 RhoHub builds today and none of them have completed. The latest one is still running. What is the problem?

git@git.rhohub.com:frankbohac/Spray_calculators_Dev.git

THanks,

Frank

• Re: My RHoHub Builds wont complete
          Kutir Mobility

Hi Frank,

This issue needs help from Motorola. We will raise this issue with them to get an answer.

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

Frank Bohac

Did we get an answer from them? My latest build is still 'building' after 12 hours...

Frank Bohac

Hi,

My latest build failed with 'access denied'. How do I fix this?

Jon Tara

The easy fix is to develop on your own computer...

Frank Bohac

Thats not an easy fix. I'm using RhoHub to avoid the tremendous complexity of trying to gernate a RhoStudio  application locally for the iphone.

The queue has been cleared. Could you please try it again?

Max.

Jon Tara
                              I'm using RhoHub to avoid the tremendous complexity of trying to gernate a RhoStudio  application locally for the iphone.

Not sure what tremendous complexity you're talking about. You do need a Mac, though. If you're serious about developing iOS applications, you need a Mac. It need not be an expensive machine - I use a Mac Mini.

A full build takes a couple of minutes.

I'd find RhoHub a completely unworkable solution. I suppose it would be OK for kicking the tires.

Frank Bohac

Hi,

I have a Mac (MacBook Pro).

I have never been able to figure out the steps required to generate an application (and haven't found any clear instructions for the process either). At the very least it seems to have way more steps than the very simple Android generation process (which is a single click of one button).

So far, RhoHub has been very easy to use and the resulting application runs fine on the iOS devices that I have tested it on. Im not sure what to do about Rhodes 4.0.0, however.

David Miller

Hi Frank

You are right in that Rhohub is very convenient.

Unfortunately though, it is unreliable and suffers from significant issues in terms of availability.  Please note, the prominent Moto engineers are very aware of the limitations of Rhohub and have made their feelings known regarding the improvements that are required.  Motorola is trying to resolve the issues but to date, their efforts have not really resolved those issues.

Personally, I have suffered greatly because I missed an important deadline due to Rhohub unavailability.  The cost of this was so significant, I could not afford to rely upon it again.  Consequently, inline with Jon Tara’s help and valuable advice, I now build locally.  Only one project relies upon it, the rest don’t.

My advice, it to put efforts into making your development environment self reliant (it’s not that hard) and keep Rhohub in reserve.

Despite assurances to me (publicly) that Rhohub is going to progress with the RhoMobile release programme, I don’t see that happening.  As such I cannot see my business being dependent upon it.  Personally, I’d like to see better documentation (regarding the creation of environments for local builds) from Moto in favour of keeping Rhohub going.  That’s how other platforms do it generally.  However Phonegap’s build system is excellent and is making significant leaps forward.  There is a worry that Phonegap (and others) will prevail.  BUT, as a user of a number of responsive/adaptive platforms and native environments alike, my business understands the significance of RhoMobile.  It is an excellent product but Rhohub is letting it down.  Simply, detach yourself from it.

Jon Tara
                                        I have never been able to figure out the steps required to generate an application (and haven't found any clear instructions for the process either)

I just do command-line builds.

rake run:iphone    <- build and run on simulator

rake device:iphone:production  <- build for hardware, and leave .app in bin directory.

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

I don't use RhoStudio, just a text editor (Sublime Text). I suggest using rvm to manage your Ruby environment. I have a different GemSet for each Rhodes version I might build with depending on project requirements. I typically build the Gem from a GitHub repo check-out. In one case a customer modified Rhodes. So, I have several versions kicking around in GemSets.

It can be a bit of a pain maintaining multiple versions of Xcode (needed if you are working with both Rhodes 2.x and 4.x) but it's not horrible. (Does require both switching Xcode command-line-tools selection AND re-naming Xcode. Rhodes build still needs it to be called Xcode.app...

If you're unsure how to set-up the development environment, there should be plenty of help available here.

Frank Bohac

Hi,

I am interested in learning how to do the local build, but honestly, I have been trying to make heads or tails of the help available online for a few weeks and just gave up and went with RhoHub.

I am also surprised about the extensive use of command line tools/ text editors as described in much of the online documentation. This seems to be a pretty ancient way of working rather than using an IDE,

Jon Tara

Once you've had your fill of Eclipse (which RhoStudio is based on) you will appreciate why people use text editors and command-line tools!

I've been a big fan of IDEs in the past. Did a lot of work in Visual Studio for many years. Then I went to work at Sony for couple of years working on some Rails projects, and found everyone was using Macs and text editors. (Vi and TextMate.) I had to lobby for RadRails (an Eclipse plugin) and gained a small number of converts.

But as Eclipse has grown, so have it's problems. When I started out with Rhodes, I did use RhoStudio. But I got tired of fighting with Eclipse. (And trouble installing the plugins I wanted along with the pre-bundled RhoStudio.) and so I started experimenting with Sublime Text.

I would never to back to Eclipse. Sublime Text is close enough to an IDE for me. There are plugins for just about anything you can imagine, including code intelligence for just about any language. The one thing missing is integrated debugging.

I also find that for certain things where you want to use a GUI, there are stand-alone GUI tools that are far better than anything in an IDE.

I believe this is the general trend in software development today - away from IDEs and back toward (very sophisticated, though) text editors, command-line, and task-specific GUI tools.

But probably 50% of things I want to debug are CSS or Javascript, and I *do* have interactive debugging for those (built into Safari). The RhoMobile Simulator, though, is far enough from reality that I don't consider it a useful environment for debugging. And, so, yes, debugging Ruby code consists of carefully-placed logging. (And Ruby code can often be developed first in a simple command-line program.)

Finally, there are some things that can *only* (or certainly best) be done with command-line. I only do local builds for test. When we are ready with something for beta testers, one of my associates uses a bash script he wrote (actually, a collection of bash scripts) to build our handful of inter-related apps and publish them to TestFlight. At the touch of a return key.

FYI, I use:

- Sublime Text (a.k.a. "Sublime Text 3")

- Tower (GUI Git client)

- Araxis Merge (GUI 3-way merge)

- rvm (for managing Rubys, GemSets)

- node/npm (many new tools in this environment recently, hard to avoid)

- brew (for managing build/install OSX command-line tools, typically ports from Linux/Unix)

As for the docs, this should tell you most of what you need to know:

Rhomobile | Building for iOS

It's not the most confusing of the build options! (That would be building with Xcode...)

Frank Bohac

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the help. If you don't mind, I would like to draw on your expertise a bit further.

I haven't actually had any problems with Eclipse/RhoStudio. What kinds of issues am I likely to encounter? What kind of fighting were you doing with Eclipse? What kinds of plugins did you want to use?

I am trying to absorb what you are saying about the command line environment (I don't doubt the experience that you have gained). However, I haven't had to use command line environments since we did away with DOS commands on Microsoft in the 1980's and went to Windows. It seems like a huge step backward...

What plug ins do you use with Sublime Text?

It seems like integrated debugging is a pretty big thing to lose. What are you using instead? Have you also abandoned use of frameworks (like .net, Backbone, AppFlower, etc.)

When you mention that the RhoMobile simulator is far from reality, can you give me some more specifics.

It strikes me that having so many separate packages/tools in your tool kit kind of illustrates my original point that a native build for OSX is exceptionally complex.

Thanks again.

Frank

David Miller

Hi Frank

See Jon’s previous comments to answer most of your questions.

Jon is right, don’t think the IDE is the benefit you think it is.  Most people don’t really use them except for creating a template project, part of initial learning or for debugging.  I will use it for debugging if at all.

The problems you encounter is mostly around Eclipse being unstable.  Flakey even.  Especially when debugging ruby.  Restarts are often required to get it to operate properly once you have encountered an exception or something.  But it is useful when it works.

Have a go at command line use.  You know whats going on and it isn’t hard to setup.  You can still fire up RhoStudio if you need to do some debugging later.

When Jon refers to lots of tools/plugin’s – he only means he uses them to make life easier for himself.  You don’t actually need them.