6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 4:33 AM by Kutir Mobility

Issues with on_migrate_source

Rob Richard

So I'm trying to get a handle on when the on_migrate_source is fired, and I'm not getting the results I expect.  Here is the scenario that I am using in rhosimulator:

Test #1:

Step 1: I delete the rhosimulator folder in the project.

Step 2: I have a model (AppConfig) that is set :schema_version, '1.2', and in rhoconfig.txt, app_db_version = '1.6'

Step 3: I run the app and populate contents of AppConfig accordingly.

Step 4. I change in rhoconfig.txt, app_db_version = '1.7'

Step 5. I set a breakpoint on the following code segment in application.rb:

def on_migrate_source(old_version, new_src)

# if we come across the potential to "upgrade" the AppConfig table, do not blow it away.

if (new_src['name'] == "AppConfig")

true # return true so that rhodes does not create the table automatically

end

end

Step 6. I debug the app, and on_migrate_source is never fired.

Test #2:

Step 1: I delete the rhosimulator folder in the project.

Step 2: I have a model (AppConfig) that is set :schema_version, '1.2', and in rhoconfig.txt, app_db_version = '1.6'

Step 3: I run the app and populate contents of AppConfig accordingly.

Step 4. I change (AppConfig) set :schema_version, '1.7', and in rhoconfig.txt, app_db_version = '1.7'

Step 5. I set a breakpoint on the following code segment in application.rb:

def on_migrate_source(old_version, new_src)

# if we come across the potential to "upgrade" the AppConfig table, do not blow it away.

if (new_src['name'] == "AppConfig")

true # return true so that rhodes does not create the table automatically

end

end

Step 6. I debug the app, and on_migrate_source is never fired.

One would expect that since the version numbers have changed, that this function would fire.  Am I not using this properly?

• Re: Issues with on_migrate_source
          Kutir Mobility

Hi Richard

We are trying to reproduce the steps locally.

We will get back to you shortly.

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

Kutir Mobility

Rob,

Data Migration supported for Fixed Schema only (IMHO). Your "AppConfig" model should use Fixed Schema.

"on_migrate_source" get fired when you navigate to "AppConfig" model pages and change the version. So navigate to AppConfig model page and let us know what happen?

It won't fire when a Rhodes app starts.

Visnupriya R

Kutir Mobility

Rob Richard

The model is a fixed schema model.  I'm having a little difficulty understanding the second sentence however (about navigating to model pages and changing the version).  Could you please rephrase, clarify, and perhaps add more detail?

Kutir Mobility

Hi Rob

Please find the re-phrased text below. If required, please ask it again.

1. Change the version in the AppConfig.rb (its your model file)

2. Navigate to your "AppConfig" model page ( any page that make use of AppConfig model)

3. When you navigate, the "on_migrate_source" method should get fired.

Does it make sense now?

VP

Kutir Mobility

Rob Richard

VP - I appreciate the input.  Here's the central core of the problem I'm running into: when I update my app and a user downloads the update, it blows away the existing database because the versions are different.  What I want to do is save the appconfig table - all of the other tables can be removed and rebuilt.  I was hoping that the "on_migrate_source" function could help me do that, but there is no opportunity to "navigate" to a page beforehand, so it appears that this function is pretty much useless.  Any ideas on how I can accomplish what it is I'm looking to do?

Rob