QR Code Size and Tesla Requirements

// Expert user has replied.
J JC Young 2 years 11 months ago
149 8 0

Zebra has been very helpful in the past and I'm hoping your team can resolve this long-standing restriction.
I've read through previous questions from other Zebra users about the ZPL limitation of QR Code expansion only being 1-10. Meanwhile, a company like Tesla is requiring a QR Code closer to 28-32 in expansion. Previous suggested solutions seem to focus on tricking the printer regarding dpi, etc.
This is not a solution.
Tesla has had this large QR Code requirement for a while now and they will likely not be the only company wanting a larger QR Code in the future. This needs to be addressed. I'm not certain if there is some kind of restriction why ZPL II cannot be changed or hasn't been, but other printer brands do not seem to have this limitation.
Our software company has supported Zebra printers for 30+ years and found you guys to be consistently one of the best when it comes to new barcode technology, function and print quality. We have a large customer base, of which numerous clients who are Tesla vendors asking for a solution.
We would rather that solution not be to purchase a different brand of printer or buy pre-printed labels.
Hoping you can help

Please register or login to post a reply

8 Replies

S Steven Si

Thank you JC for this great suggestion. We will bring this suggestion to our product and engineering teams for consideration.

R Ramesh Mahankali

Hi,
Is there any update on this? We are also using ZEBRA software go generate ZPL for our customer labels since long time.
Now we started supplying to Tesla and need to print a big QR code(3.2" X 3.2"). Any help is appreciated in this regard.

Thanks in advance

S Steven Si

There is no update on the large size QR code using the ZPL, as it has not been planned due to the other priorities. If a large size QR code is required, use other tools to generate the QR code and save it as PDF. Then the PDF can be printed via the PDF Direct (a PDF emulator) on the printer.

J JC Young

This is not a workable solution for applications that generate ZPL2 directly to the printers from interactive applications. Luckily, Tesla is the only company I've seen so far that insists on QR Code's with an expansion of 28-32 (beyond ZPL's current 10 limitation). Fortunately, other thermal printer brands do not seem to have this issue.

R Ramesh Mahankali

Hi,

Which other brands/models have you used to get around the QR code expansion beyond 10?

J JC Young

Ramesh,

Our company would prefer to remain objective and not promote other brands of printers on Zebra's website, I'm sorry. Also, we remain hopeful that in the long term, Zebra will resolve this issue for future QR Code requirements.

JC

T Tim Cookson

I am facing the same problem with the QR code size. We already are invested in Zebra printer, but unless Zebra can fix this issue I will need to look for another solution.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

S Steven Si

Link-OS 6.8 has been released. With Link-OS 6.8, customer can now print larger size QR code with the ZPL command ^BQ by increasing the QR code maximum magnification factor from 10 to 100. If applicable, you can update the printer's firmware to Link-OS 6.8 for printing larger size QR code.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?