A partner reported that their Rhodes app doesn't alway sync up the database. He stated by creating a Rhodes app and a RhoConnect app (local) following the demo instructions found on the Rhomobile site. This first set of apps worked fine on RhoSimulator, device emulator and the devices (Android & windows).
Then he tried to build a second app using Rhohub this time (http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhohub/tutorial and video Webinar). He encountered problems with deployment of the app so he pushed the code onto https://app.rhohub.com/ using Git without any problem, but
everytime I tried to deploy I got a "Failed" status. No error message, nothing.... How do we can check for errors? He couldn't locate a log file to provide insight.
Finally he was able to do it following the instructions on the site, creating the apps on Rhohub site, get it locally using Git, doing the modifications, push it back and deploy.
He 3rd app he followed instructions in the webinar on how to use .NET plug-in and RhoConnect. He was able to get the .Net plug-in to work except the synchronisation part. He saw that RhoSimulator was connected but the sync was not working.
He thought of launching all 3 apps that he had developed leveraging RhoConnect. Two were working/sync'ing fine but when he launched the third app he was unable to sync anyone with any apps. RhoConnect stopped/froze entirely.
He then noticed that he was unable to compile his .Net Plug-in on RhoHub. Redis is launched but after the freeze ocurred with RhoConnect.
For the first pair off apps (the local ones) I am able to run and get the Sync when uploading from a device to http://rhostore.heroku.com/products , but when modifying something on the site and sync'ing with RhoSimulator it doesn't work until I reset/reinitialize the database. How can he sync up changes without having to reset the DB.
Thoughts, suggestions are welcome.