WS2000 FW2.3.1-012R DHCP issues with Intel WiFi 5100 or Intel WiFi 5300 chipsets

// Expert user has replied.
H Henrich Hofbauer 2 years 11 months ago
0 7 0

I'm dealing with a case where the customer is having issues with WS2000 running latest FW 2.3.1-012R where the clients with Intel WiFi 5100 or Intel WiFi 5300 chipsets don't get an IP Address.
Customer error description:

We have defined three WLANs. Every WLAN has an own VLAN and an DHCP-Range.

If the MC9090 computer is connected to the WLAN it get an IP-Address from the range of his VLAN.

With all MC9090 computers all works fine.

But we have big problems with notebooks „Lenovo R500“ and „Lenovo R61“ and „Lenovo T500“ and so on.

All these models have the same WLAN Chipset: Intel WiFi 5100 or Intel WiFi 5300.

Only this notebooks have the following problem:

The WLAN-Connection is established, but the computer gets no ip-address. With other computers with other WLAN-Chipsets

there are no problems. Only with lenovo-notebooks with WiFi5100 or WiFi5300 - Chipsets this DHCP-Problem exists.

This problem is also if i use an external dchp_server wich i have configured a dhcp-relay.

Any chance to get this work with different configurations?

Anybody heard about this problem as well?

Please register or login to post a reply

7 Replies

A Ananda Krishnan Vishwanathan

I'm able to get IP address and do data transfer with Intel 5300 AGN card (Driver -12.1.0.14) . Could you please give me more info to the issue. 1  Wireless trace between AP and MU 2  Is it a WISP or WISPe AP. Regards Anand

M Michael Oliver

Is it a Vista client by any chance?  If so many DHCP servers can have issues as the Vista DHCP request specifies the reply must be by Broadcast, XP specifies Unicast.

C Chris Matheson

If they are Vista laptops, you are likely seeing this issue:
Here is the link to the Microsoft article on the DHCP issue with windows Vista :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233/EN-US/

A Arnold Joseph Ballesteros

One of our customers is also have the same problem using an external DHCP server on SW 2.3.    All of there laptops are Lenovo but they also experienced  it on a 3945 intel chipset.  Still doing troubleshooting and might downgrade to SW version 2.2.3

K Kevin Marshall

Just out of curiosity, can you check the power management settings are for the Intel NICs? I have seen some really funky connectivity issues on other vendors WLAN infrastructure with Intel NICs when power management was enabled. In some cases upgrading the NIC drive fixed the problem and in other cases we had to disable power management on the NIC.  You may want to also make sure that Cisco Client Extensions are disabled. Regards, Kevin

One of our customers is also have the same problem using an external DHCP server on SW 2.3.    All of there laptops are Lenovo but they also experienced  it on a 3945 intel chipset.  Still doing

One of our customers is also have the same problem using an external DHCP server on SW 2.3.    All of there laptops are Lenovo but they also experienced  it on a 3945 intel chipset.  Still doing troubleshooting and might downgrade to

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?