WS5100 mixed local routing and central traffic

// Expert user has replied.
K Kjell Lloyd 3 years ago
0 3 0

I got a question from a partner that is asking if we support Dependent AP's both local routing (office traffic) and remote forward traffic (guest network) to a centralized WS5100 switch? Today the customer has WS5100 and AP300 but they woul like to extend the wireless to remote office using their WAN connection. So the idea is to install Dependent AP's in the new office configured for WLAN's one hotspot with it's ownVLAN and a office network on a another VLAN. Can this be done and how should we then configure this?

Please register or login to post a reply

3 Replies

K Kjell Lloyd

Thanks guys. The information I got from you will help us going on forward.

M Marcus Kurath

I have done this in my lab. The configuration for independent/dependent WLAN's is dome in the WLAN configuration screen Assuming that you configure the guest WLAN to be dependent, all the traffic on that WLAN will be delivered to the switch. The corporate WLAN could be configured as independent and the traffic would then be delivered to the local network for local routing Let me know if you have any additional questions, but mixing the WLAN types works DQW476

A Arsen Bandurian

From what I've tried - yes and no. You can have both local traffic termination and remote traffic termination on the same AAP. That's yes. Now, if you want the local traffic to be routed not by the AP itself (by some router in the same VLAN) - that's yes again. Just set up an Independent WLAN on the WS and assign in to the AAP. But if you want the AAP to route traffic by itself - you'd have to set this up manually on every AP (or perhaps use RFMS), because when you configure Independent WLAN on the switch it creates ONLY bridged WLAN's on the APs. At least that's what I was able to achieve in my lab.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?