4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 1:14 PM by Jon Tara

ipad 2 / 3 loading screen issue

I am testing an existing app under the new conditions of the iPad 3 and iOS6.  The issue I am running into is that when the app comes up in Landscape (loading-Landscape.png), the splash screen is resized oddly (2X the size of the screen).  The environment is:

Rhodes 3.4.2

Xcode 4.5

iOS 6.0

In addition, if I take that same app I just built and put it on an iPad 2 with iOS 5, the same condition occurs.  So, is there an issue with the combination of Rhodes 3.4.2 and iOS 6.0?

• Re: ipad 2 / 3 loading screen issue
          Robert Galvin

Hi John

Have you tried some of the recommendations in:

http://docs.rhomobile.com/rhodes/ui#loading-screen

There are a choices:

You can control how image presented by modifying splash_screen options in rhoconfig.txt:

• delay – how long splash screen should be displayed (in seconds)
          • center,vcenter,hcenter – picture alignment
          • zoom,vzoom,hzoom – scaling options

Examples:

Place the splash screen in the center and show it for 5 seconds:

splash_screen='delay=5;center' 

Center the splash screen horizontally, scale it vertically to file all available space, and show it for 5 seconds:

splash_screen='delay=5;hcenter;vzoom'

or by actually having a different sized PNG for the platform (I recommend this approach for best resolution)

• loading-Portrait.png; size 768x1024 – for iPad in Portrait orientation on start; if not defined then loading@2x.png will be used
          • loading-PortraitUpsideDown.png; size 768x1024 – for iPad in Portrait orientation on start, if not defined then loading-Portrait.png will be used
          • loading-Landscape.png; size 1024x768 – for iPad in Landscape orientation on start, if not defined then use loading@2x.png
          • loading-LandscapeLeft.png; size 1024x768 – for iPad in LandscapeLeft orientation on start; if not defined then loading-Landscape.png will be used
          • loading-LandscapeRight.png; size 1024x768 – for iPad in LandscapeRight orientation on start; if not defined then loading-Landscape.png will be used
              Steve Harman

Hi Rob,

I have this same issue with Rhodes 5 and IOS 8.x on ipad 2. None of the loading screen options I have tried have resolved the problem. It is easy to reproduce - just load a boiler plate Rhodes 5 app on ipad 2 and start it in landscape and watch it stretch portrait after a second or so.

If there is anyway around this please let me know.

Steve

Jon Tara

I just recently addressed this issue.

First off, only the latest version 5.0.25 copies all of the necessary splash screen images needed for iOS8/iPhone6/iPadx to the bundle.

I found some issues with landscape unless you supply ALL of the possible splash images. e.g. left/right/upsidedown etc.

I just used duplicates for Landscape/LandscapeLeft/LandscapeRight and for Portrait/PortraitUpsideDown, etc.

loading.png

Jon Tara

With all of the images supplied as shown above, I use:

splash_screen = 'none'

The setting is a bit counter-intuitive, eh?

I get a correct splash screen on every (iOS) device in every orientation, with no zoom weirdness, shifting, or squishing.

Never had any luck with an HTML splash screen. IMO that's a silly thing to do/try. The purpose of the PNG splash screen is to give the user something to look at while the system is getting initialized, WebView loads, etc. The WebView ready to show an HTML splash happens way to late to hide the man behind the curtain.