reset the secret password on WS5100 3.3.3

// Expert user has replied.
A Afshin Mansoorieh 3 years 5 months ago
4 4 0

i have a customer who is trying to reset the secret password on a WS5100 switch with 3.3.3 firmware.  setting the switch to factory defaults (using restore/restoreDefaultPassword) is no doing the job. has anyone else run into this? is there a different procedure to reset the encryption password? P.S. release notes for 3.3.2 specifically indicates that it has fixed this very issue, yet the customer is reporting that they still have the problem with 3.3.3. thanks, afshin

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

A Afshin Mansoorieh

in case anyone has run into the same issue, I have an SPR in this issue: 18402 and a pretty good work-around.  the fix is expected to be available in 3.3.4 release. if you simply delete the startup-config file and reboot the WS5100, the "encryption secret" is removed.     yes, it is true that setting the switch to factory default removes the startup-config file but the "encryption secret" still remains, hence the SPR. cheers, afshin

R Raymond Clounch

It should be restoreDefaultPasword. Only one S in password.

C Chris Frazee

Hello Afshin,       Please get a support case generated in order that one of us in Tier II can look into this. As for the reply that Ray sent out, restoring WiNG switches back to factory defaults requires accessing the switch via the serial connection and using the following: UserID = cli Username = restore Password = restoreDefaultPa ssword Two "s" is correct and will default the switch back to factory defaults. I am not sure if something got missed in v3.3.3, so please have a support case open so we can investigate and track the issue. Thanks.

C Chris Frazee

Hello Ray,       Two "s" is correct for the password in restoreDefaultPassword. Afhsin is referring to the encrypted passwords in the configuration for the WLAN security methods. The restoreDefaultPassword does restore WiNG switches back to factory default and we had an issue that after restoring the switch back to factory, with WLAN security passwords (WEP/WPA) that were previously created/encrypted, would stay encrypted after the restore to factory defaults and configuring new WLAN/Security methods.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?