CRD7000-4000ER...What is acceptable duration to acquire IP address via DHCP

// Expert user has replied.
H Howard Laser 3 years ago
0 5 0

1) 16:59/04-05-10

2) 3-day

3) CRD7000-4000ER

4) WM5.0

5) 2110221 Customer feels a 10 second delay for MC70 to acquire IP address via DHCP in the CRD7000-4000ER Ethernet cradle is too long. I have tested this with multiple devices on more than one cradle on our corporate backbone, and find 10 seconds to be about average. Can anyone confirm this? I realize that there is an extra layer involved here (USB comm from device to cradle). Can anyone provide a more detailed explanation of why there would be a delay of this type?

Please register or login to post a reply

5 Replies

G George Dellaratta

Netlog is insufficient.  Wired traces.

D David Meyer

I'm wondering why the customer sent logs that are related to a TCP communication instead of DHCP.  Is the customer truly complaining about DHCP, or is there another problem they are having?

H Howard Laser

TA Clayton Moore opened case with this problem description: MC70 Approx: 400 MC70 devices and 100 ethernet cradles. Customer: Kaiser Permanente The customer has a client who is experiencing a delay (about 10sec.) when acquiring an IP address in an ethernet cradle using DHCP. Customer installed Netlog. Clayton is emailing Netlog results for review.

G George Dellaratta

When discussing ANYTHING that uses time as the measure, there is no such thing as "acceptable".  The time described may be "in spec" but "acceptable" is subjective. No one has ever analyzed the details of the DHCP process to answer the second question.  I recommend capturing a wired trace.

H Howard Laser

George here are some netlog captures with customers note: here are the 2 log files I got.. This is while the HHD is sending requests to a server. I tried to read them but got dizzy.... :-) HHD: 10.208.30.63 Serve: 172.17.104.25

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?