How to set the GPS hardware port

// Expert user has replied.
D Dennis Loong 2 years 11 months ago
28 9 0

Team, How to set the GPS hardware port & baud rate?   I try to set the port to any COM number & baud rate but it will falls back to default value. Partner's application will use the GPS hardware port to get the GPS coordinate but there is no signal at all. kindly advise.

Please register or login to post a reply

9 Replies

H Herbert De Jong

hi Dennis, there is indeed hw differences, between those devices.  MPA 1.0  MC70  has the Program port not set by default and  Hardware port is Com 8. MPA 1.5  MC55 WM 6.1  has the Program port not set by default and  Hardware port is Com 8. MPA 1.5  MC55 WM 6.5  has the Program port set to Com 8 by default and  Hardware port is Com 7. That means on WM 6.5 we introduced also the WM intermediate driver already be active, in fact our own Moto GPS virtual driver. So multiple applications can use simultanously the shared com port. Normally a application just needs to open up a Com port,  it should not change the  Program Port and Hardware Port settings on the device. On ES400 MC65 there is no GPS hardware port as it is a single CPU handling everything, therefore the only  setting which is set is the GPS Program Port.

D Dennis Loong

thanx Herbert, this should explain better to customer

D Dennis Loong

is there any source of guide line that partner can refer to, in order to change the application to read from GPS program port?

H Herbert De Jong

ES400 - MC65 have  Qualcomm A GPS one chip solution and the default settings under GPS Settings are like following: GPS Program Port COM 6 GPS Hardware Port NONE  Baud rate 4800 there is no Hardware port to be set, and only the MS Intermediate GPS driver can be used on COM PORT 6.

D Dennis Loong

Hi Herbert, Just curious, as you mentioned that hardware port is not to be set.  But partner has been using hardware port in their application for MC55 & MC70. Is this because of the different chipset between MC55 & MC65 / ES400? Can I make conclusion that partner has to change the application to use program port rather than hardware port?

R Robert Galvin

Dennis Have you tried looking at Start/Settings/System/External GPS There are two tabs you can look at. I believe the default COM port is COM 6/4800. In VisualGPSCE you can set the com port to match and it should work. You also want to make sure on the Access tab the 'Manage GPS automatically' is checked.

G Glenn Sayer

Might want to look at SPR 18992. Should try to use the virtual GPS com port when possible and not the hardware port.  As only one application can access the hardware port at a time and the virtual port can be accessed by multiple applications at one time.

D Dennis Loong

Rob, That's where I was looking at, but unfortunately I have to clean boot the device only Im able to select the com port from VisualGPSce.  Anyway, clean boot does the magic. thanx

D Dennis Loong

On the other hand, Im using VisualGPSce to test the GPS.   Device cant find the appropriate COM port, I have to clean boot the device, till then Im able to find the COM port & run VisualGPSce to start testing. Is this a normal behaviour? Below is the device info : OS version 05.02.23121 OEM version : 01.19.0001

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?