MC70 WM5 - Downloading large files

// Expert user has replied.
P Petr Selinger 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

1) Case #2379114 2) MC70 WM5 BSP43 3) 05/16/11 2pm 4) 3 days Our technicians from repair center reported following issue that happens from time to time to different customers. When downloading large (i.e. 7MB) file from Internet via GPRS and you select Main Memory as a download location, the file is still being downloaded to Cache folder. Once the Cache folder is full, IE reports error message saying there is not enough space. So to download larger files users need to select Application folder as a download location otherwise it is not possible to download them. I was able to verify this issue on MC70 device they gave me for testing - see attached document with screenshots. Is this normal behavior? If so, can it be changed so the file is downloaded directly to My Documents for example? (this seems to happen on WM6.1 devices by default) Thanks, Petr

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

P Petr Selinger

Hello, I just wanted to check if anyone has an idea, why the large file download fails on some devices? Why on some affected devices the downloaded file is stored to Cache even if the user selects Main memory location? Thanks, Petr

T Thomas Cassar

This is listed in PEB0095 for WM6.1.  Same may apply to WM5.
Using Internet Explorer to FTP download files of sizes greater than 4MB.

Either modify the below mentioned temporary storage location to “Storage Card”

;Internet Explorer temporary files location

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell

Folders]

"Cache"="\\Cache Disk\\Profiles\\guest\\Temporary Internet Files"

OR

names are the property of their respective owners. © Motorola, Inc. 2007

Increase the value in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\drivers\builtin\ramdisk] - 'size' to allow downloads accordingly.

The default value of Cache disk is 4MB.

P Petr Selinger

Thanks Tom, the REG key helped to resolve the issue.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?