WiNG 5 vs ADSP WLAN Mgt

H Harry Banias 3 years 5 months ago
1 1 0

Hi, Had a query from one of our partners about the value of ADSP WLAN Mgt vs WiNG 5. They basically pointed out that as WiNG 5 can now have a centralised controller, with AP's at the edge, why would I buy the ADSP WLAN Mgt module? They are purely looking at this from an ROI perspective. So does anyone from the BU have this breakdown.   I guess to some degree we are competing witihin ourselves however it would be nice to have justification for one vs the other.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

R Ronald Van Kleunen

Hi Harry, To a certain level I agree with the overlap in WLAN management with WiNG 5.x and ADSP WLAN management. The  business benefits with the ADSP WLAN management module are as follows: (the RFS controllers with WiNG 5.x cannot do these functions). I only list the most important ones: 1. Infrastructure & WLAN Performance related alarms  (and historical information, when the alarm     was triggered)     (plus from an Incident Handling process how to react on the alarms, escalate it, investigate it)     e.g.   AP Tx Radio failure,  DHCP license Pool full, etc. 2. Trigger a combination of alarms and automatically trigger an action (in Action Manager)     e.g. trigger an e-mail report to a manager if there is a critical component not working. See     in detail all the Infrastructure related alarms  (on our server in Singapore     https://10.224.39.82:8543)  3. *New*  - Infrastructure Forensics (available in ADSP 8.1.1)     See the slides at AirDefense Sales Rack 4. *Improved*  Auditing feature  (to compare the configurations of the RFS-controllers or from the      APs,  to understand if some config changes took place. Intentionally or unintentionally.      or for compliance reasons  (e.g. some admin changed configurations and ADSP will show the       differences in the configuration) 5. Graphical view of the connections between RFS controllers,  APs and Clients     (plus view-filtering options available).      e.g. customers with multiple controllers, normally you need to login per controller      ADSP can do the view for all controllers  (like the 200 controllers at one of the customers) 6. Association Tree View to see which WiFi client is connected to which Radio in the AP     (easier to do troubleshooting) and view filters are supported in the ADSP. 7. Location Tracking is built-in the ADSP (if the APs are close together)      and with WLAN management this function can track the WiFi device (AP, Client, iPad, etc.)     (there is no need for sensors) 8. Wireless LAN Management supports  Motorola WLAN, Extreme WLAN, Brocade WLAN and     Cisco WLAN devices   (in parallel these can be managed, an RFS controller only can do     Motorola devices) 9.From a business perspective:  Cisco owns 53% of the WLAN market, this is a market     to position AirDefense to to AirDefense-WLAN management.  (a customer will seldom replace     a Cisco install base to a Motorola WiNG 5.x installation) / Ron

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?