The Local Staging Site [NAME] cannot have a Late-Bound Production Site

// Expert user has replied.
A Arsen Bandurian 3 years 5 months ago
0 1 0

Hello. I create a site Site1 in MSP with Type Both and Staging Scope Local (also specify Relay Server and Network Settings). As per "Administering MSP" book: " Local Staging Scope indicates that Staging performed at a Staging Site will only be for use at that one local Site.  For example, if a Site is both a Staging Site and a Production Site, and if all Staging for use at that Site is done at that Site, then that Site would make sense to define as having Local Staging Scope. When a Site is defined to have Local Staging Scope, then only the Production Site Bundle and referenced Packages and Settings for that one local Site will need to be sent to the Relay Server referenced by that Site." Then I create a Staging Profile, set it to Inherit settings from Site, and set both Staging and Production sites as Late-Bound. The idea is that if I have multiple local sites I could still use one Staging Profile and just choose the same site for Staging and Production at the time of barcode generation. Then I try to generate the barcodes, select lab.Site1 both as Staging and Production Site. But when I click "Generate" I get this error: " The Local Staging Site Site1 cannot have a Late-Bound Production Site. " In my understanding, when you select a Local-scoped Site as your Staging Site, the only two options available for Production Site should be "None" and the same site. But even if I select "None" I still get the same error, which is totally incomprehensible to me, since NOTHING will be pulled from the Relay Server at all (thus, scope does not matter). Is it a bug/implementation limitation (plain denial instead of Prod. Site validity check), or I am not understanding something? Thanks.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

A Allan Herrod

Arsen; As is states in the document, " Local Staging Scope indicates that Staging performed at a Staging Site will only be for use at that one local Site."  That means that while it makes sense for a single Staging Profile to allow you select a Staging Site at the time of Staging, that it does NOT make sense for you to select a Production Site at the time of Staging, since the Production Site either is None (if there will be no Production Site Bundle to apply) or the same Site as the Staging Site. I was able to select either "Specify Site at Staging" or "Specify Explicit Site" for the Staging Site.  And I was able to generate Barcodes successfully, when selecting a Local Staging Site for the Staging Site, either explicitly, or at the time of Staging. It does appear that there is a minor annoyance in that it allows you to specify BOTH the Staging Site and the Production Site as "Specify Site at Staging", and doing that doesn't really make sense.  If you specify the Staging Site as "Specify Site at Staging", then the Production Site logically must either be None or the same Site.  The UI could be designed to limit you in this case, but it currently doesn't.  I agree it would make more sense if it did, but it does not really seem like a major issue. If you select "Specify Site at Staging" for BOTH the Staging and Production Site, then when you select a Local Staging Site as the Staging Site when generating Barcodes, it gives you the error you noted.  In this case, it could be better, since it WOULD work, if it allowed you to specify the SAME Local Staging Site as the Production Site. I can see your point that it is limiting the way it is now.  If you want to use ONE Staging Profile and select the ONE Local Staging Site that is BOTH the Staging Site and the Production Site, at Staging time, you cannot now do that.  To successfully generate barcodes, when you select "Specify Site at Staging" for the Staging Site, then you would have to select None or "Specify Explicit Site" for the Production Site.  That effectively prevents you from pulling a Production Site Bundle for the same Local Staging Site selected at Staging Time.  I think it is reasonable to put in an SPR about that. Allan

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?