Phone Number Query from SIM (can MSP write the numer to the SIM)

// Expert user has replied.
S Stephen Vye 3 years 5 months ago
3 1 0

Hi All, I have seen a common thread where we want MSP to query the device SIM for the PH number, but the Telco's here do not write this to the SIM, so I understand that we can't get it if it isn't there. BUT, is there a way to update the SIM if the phone number exists on the device somewhere (I have developers ready to code on this)? Then we can report it in MSP... Cheers Steve Vye

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

A Allan Herrod

There are APIs to write a phone number to the SIM, but currently MSP does not provide any code to do that.  You could write your own Settings Plug-In to so that, using the PDK, or just have a regular application do it, and then deploy either with MSP.  If you WERE to store the phone number in the SIM, then the documented APIs used by MSP to read the phone number MIGHT return it.  The reason MSP does not read the phone number on devices used on certain carriers is because the ONLY documented API to read the phone number does not read it on devices used with those carriers.  We have therorized that this is because the carriers do NOT store the phone number in the SIM, but we have not conclusively proven that.  But the main problem is that in order to store the phone number in the SIM, you would have to KNOW the phone number first.  And we are not aware of ANY means by which such devices can discover their own phone number.  If we KNEW of such a way, we would have added that code to MSP already to read and return it.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?