Connection Manager CPU Hog!

// Expert user has replied.
P Peter Arcuri 3 years 5 months ago
2 4 0

A client has reported their MC75As (WM6.5.3) and MC95s (WM6.1) running extremely slow after several hours in operations. Running eMscript logs clearly show connmgr.exe consuming 85% of CPU. Moto engineering is aware of the problem but needs a sample application that reproduces the problem in order to chase after Microsoft (although there are dozens of cases reported on the internet on this very issue).  Anyhow, as it relates to this client, the challenge is that WWAN connection is required along with a server which is only reachable via private APN in Canada. Even if we were able to build the app environment in NY, it would not connect hence unable to replicate the negative effects of connmgr.exe.  The purpose for this post is to see if anyone else encountered this issue and if workarounds or best practices were identified. Any feedback is most appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

D David Meyer

Glenn, SPR 20271 was only about memory usage of connmgr, not CPU usage.  I don't remember seeing any high CPU usage from ConnMgr during the analysis of that issue. Dave

G Glenn Sayer

When I saw this issue the CPU would peg and lock the device up.  When I loaded the newer OS with a different AKU the issue went away. Loads with an AKU of 5.3.9 or higher the issue went away.  I have not heard of the issue with WM6.5.3

M Mark Mann

There could be other factors that may also be causing delays like the customers network and or firewall rules.  Do you see this happen on other devices like MC65 or ES400 running their application? You may want to install a network trace tool on the device to capture trace logs and run pings from the Application server to the device and vice versa to see if delays are on the network or Host side. Attached is a tool I used to capture logs on the MC55 to see how the traffic and response times were when we were connected to the customer application on a private APN on AT&T network. Hope this helps. Cheers, Mark

G Glenn Sayer

might want to look at spr 20271

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?