Managed PC with LA-4121

// Expert user has replied.
M Michael Holman 3 years 5 months ago
1 1 0

I have been challenged to show netowrk changes to a managed XP SP3 running a LA-4121. I am able to change the radio settings in the registry but in order for Mobile Companion to read them I need to restart MC or the adapter if I can delay it long enough to inform MC. I want to avoid rebooting the PC.  Besides, the reboot commands within a bundle are not valid on the PC.  Does anyone have any tricks for restarting Mobile Companion from the command line?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

A Allan Herrod

Michael; This is likely something you will need to direct to the team (if one still exists) that supports Mobile Companion and/or the LA-4121.  As I recall, there is a UI for configuring the LA-4121 on the PC.  This UI likely therefore has a method (via an API or some such) to inform MC that changes have been made and need to be reloaded.  If you can find out what that method is, you could likely invoke it to accomplish what you want to do. Changing the registry to accomplish this kind of thing is always risky because it is asynchronous and provides no way to inform the component whose settings you are changing that you have made a change.  Some components provide ways to notify them of changes, others don't.  If no such method exists, then reboot MAY be your only viable solution.  Another thing to consider is that it may be possible to simulate a remove and reinsert of the LA-4121 which would trigger the driver to reload and likely cause it to read its settings from the registry. In general, a more robust solution would be to develop an MSP Settings Plug-in that allows the Settings to be defined in MSP and sent to the device where they are passed to the Plug-in.  The Plug-in would then interact with the component through defined APIs (assuming such exist) and would be likely to provide a more integrated and seamless solution.  Of course, such a solutuon would require a knowledgeable developer capable of using the MSP PDK to develop Plug-ins.  And such a solution would only work with a component that exposes some form of interface that is designed to allow it to be configured by external entities. As for reboot, we intentionally did not support reboot Deployment Steps in Bundles for PCs because we cannot know what the PC is doing and asynchronous reboot, especially for unattended PCs, could cause havoc.  That does not mean that you could not come up with a way to reboot a PC that could be initiated from MSP.  You could deploy your registry changes and then launch an application that would initiate a delayed reboot of the PC.  It would then be that application's problem to deal with all the possible issues rebooting could cause.  If you KNOW that there are not applications that could be impacted by a reboot, then the code to initiate a reboot of a PC is not hard to come by.  But if there are applications running that have unsaved data, if could also get pretty complicated pretty quickly. Allan

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?