Cancel Data Collection

// Expert user has replied.
S Sean Wheatley 3 years 5 months ago
1 7 0

My customer has created several data collection requests and consequently any number of the 1000 MC65's are collecting data and posting back to MSP. I think that MSP is struggling to cope with the mal-administration of requests. I want to stop all units from collecting data!! I deactivated the requests under the control tab and then deleted them. I  assume that triggers MSP to issue a job to the applicable devices advising them to stop collecting data (on its next check in). is that correct? I basically want to do some housekeeping and want to ensure the following: 1. stop msp server processing data collection 2. stop msp agent collecting data and storing it locally on device.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

7 Replies

S Sean Wheatley

Thank you, this is what I hoped should be the case.  I think we could do with a MSP health indicator on the dashboard, for example utilisation of the collection service, or queue length, etc

S Sean Wheatley

Hi Thomas, the collection service is working I can see the activity in  the log. I can also see that the data files are being added/deleted in the \control folder on the relay server. I'm satisfied that the terminals are sending data and that MSP is harvesting the files from the relay server. However due to the sheer number of files to be processed I think MSP is overwhelmed. This I hope is the reason why we see a random pattern of terminals displaying collected data in the MSP web console. I want to cancel all data collection activity, I deactivated the collection requests and deleted them from the MSP web console. I will leave it a couple of days but then I hope to see the number of files in the \control folder drop significantly (perhaps go to zero). The collection service is still running which I think will eventually clear down the \control folder but the terminals hopefully will stop adding files to the queue.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

... so, why don't you uninstall the above mentioned package on all the units, wait for the sea to calm (i.e, verify if all "queued" whatsoever jobs get processed), and then re-install this package little by little? Or, another trick I did when I once had MSP overloaded: create a new RS with the same values than current (IP, user, passwd, path... all the same) but with a different logical name. Then replace old RS with new RS in all profiles, jobs, etc... In this moment you can safely delete old RS (all together with its garbage!).

S Smitha Naik

De-activating all collection requests from MSP will ensure that Data Collection Activtity on the device is stopped, and hence no collection files will be created. When the Data Collection request is de-activated, a corresponding job is created. When the device processes the de-activation request, the collection of the corresponding metrics are also stopped.

S Sean Wheatley

Thanks but I wanted to avoid this, I plan  to use data collection again when things have returned to normal. When I check the relay server I see that there are 10888 files in the /control folder. I stopped and deleted all collection requests on the web console. I am hoping that the files in /control should eventually whittle down to zero, it appears that there are files in the folder dated teh 27th so a couple days old. Is this further evidence that the data is backed up in a queue?

E Efkan YILMAZ

...may be your relay server settings does not allow MSP to upload the data collection files from the relay server or the MSP collection service is not running on the MSP server for some reasons. In that case ou could try to restart the service to check if the data collection files will processed. Thomas

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

What if you simply uninstall data collection module (MotorolaDC) on terminals?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?