OS Update WM5.0

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
3 3 0

Hi I am starting with MSP 3.3.1 and I need to update some MC9094 WM5 to use it with MSP. If I try to stage a MC9094 (1.39.1 o 1.39.3) I get an error. If I update this MC9094 to 1.43.0 using a SD Card, next I can Stage it. I downloaded Update Loader Package from support.symbol.com and I see that it came with a .APF file, so I created a Bundle and a Stage to update from 1.39 to 1.43. This package work only if the device was previously Clean Booted. I the device has programs installed and new files, I get an Allocation Error. So the steps I have to make to Update the Devices is One Stage to Clean Boot and other Stage to Update de OS. Is there a way to make it in only one Stage step?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

A Allan Herrod

When you do the update from SD, you still put ALL the files on the SD card BEFORE you initiate the update.  And the device is then clean AFTER the update, so long as the update included CLEANPS.BIN. This is NO DIFFERENT than how MSP works, but it doesn't have the option on being able to physically insert an SD card into the device. MSP also has to download ALL the files onto the device BEFORE it can initiate the update.  And the device WILL then clean AFTER the update, so long as the update included CLEANPS.BIN. But if the device does not contain sufficient room to HOLD all the files required to perform the update, then you are expecting MSP to do something MORE than an OS Update.  You are asking MSP to clean the device to MAKE ROOM for the files that will then clean the device.  So, you are expecting MSP to somehow decide WHAT to clean on the device to make the OS update fit.  If you grant MSP the benefit of an SD card with sufficient room on it, then it CAN do what you did, by putting the files needed to do the OS update onto that SD card. But if you DON'T have an SD card in the device that you KNOW has enough room free to hold the OS update images, and if there is ALSO not enough room in the device memory to hold the OS update images, then how can MSP know what it is ACCEPTABLE to clean out to make room?  The answer is it can't, but YOU can.  You can always create your own cleaner application and deploy it via MSP before you deploy the OS Update Package.  Then YOU can decide what is and is not safe to clean and when you have cleaned enough to proceed with the OS Update. MSP is already cleaning as much as it can safely clean in generic way and still GUARANTEE that nothing is broken that would prevent OS update from being done safely.  From there, the rest is device, customer, and application specific.

A Allan Herrod

Pablo; It may or may not be possible to do it in one step.  The basic requirement for OS Update on a Window Movbile device is enough space to hold all the update images, that is unavoidable.  The OS Update Utility makes an effort to clean things up to make room, but there is a limit to what it can do.  It is NOT possible to include a Clean Boot followed by an OS Update in the same Staging Profile since the nature of a Clean Boot prevents continuation after it. To determine if it is possible or not, you would have to find out what the space available on Temp is after a Clean Boot and compare it to the space available before the Clean Boot and then see what is using that space.  It might be possible to develop a Package that you could deploy and run BEFORE the OS Update Package that would do some additional clean-up, although what that clean-up would need to be would need to be based on what is using the space.  If it is space used by a running application, it might be necessary to shut down that application before that space can be reclaimed. If the device has an SD card installed, then you could also choose to redo the OS Update Package to place the files on the SD card, which might make it work, assuming there is enough free space on the SD card. Allan

P Pablo Moriconi

the. APF I got from the OS Update package does not delete the Application folder, leave it as is. How I can do to get along with the OS upgrade is also clean the device? When I do the Update from SD, the device is clean. Does this same behavior can be achieved from MSP?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?