WiNG5.2 Cluster - error in release notes

// Expert user has replied.
A Arsen Bandurian 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

Hello, Team.
Just to let you know that WiNG5.2 Release Notes for Controller Environments contain an error (and, probably, not just one). Page 9 describes a new easier way on forming the cluster using the “cluster-join” command. There is NO cluster-join command in WiNG 5.2.0.0-069R. Nice, isn’t it? J

Well, there is “join-cluster” command (and it works), but now you can’t even trust the release notes…. :( This is shameful...

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

A Arsen Bandurian

Andy, while this document works, there's absolutely no need to follow this approach with 5.2 (except some special cases, probably). The new join-cluster way is soooooooo much quicker and easier :) I saved about a hour of lecture/lab time with 5.2: I don't have to explain to students why they have to configure both devices on master controller, copy configs over, etc (and they make less mistakes configuring cluster). I know it takes 15 minutes to an experienced engineer to do this, but for someone who sees WiNG5 for the first time it is a pain... Instead, you configure cluster name on the 1st RFS, and you issue one command on the second - and you're done!

S Sunalini Sankhavaram

Thank you Arsen, for your candid feedback. We will update the release notes and repost. While on the subject, another edit that will be made is around multi-device termination wih Air Defense - that was also resolved in the last few days of release, so is no longer a known issue - that will also be updated in the next version. On the positive side, glad to know someone does read the release notes!

A Andrew Michael Robinson

Arsen, Thanks. I have just been through this. I have attached a document which may help. I have followed section 4.1 and it seems to work although I have not robustly tested the setup. I tested using RFS4000 V5.2 and RFS6000 V5.2 (Not sure is this is supported as the WiNG 5.x clustering guide states):
"Also, only identical models of controllers can be clustered together, e.g. RFS4000 with another RFS 4000. This restriction rules out the possibility of a Wireless Controller being clustered with an AP acting as a Virtual Controller."
Regards, Andy

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?