Recommendations on Housing Non-Ericsson Equipment at RF Sites

F Frank DeFazio 3 years 5 months ago
1 4 0

I'm placing this here in case you haven't already seen the email below from Soro. As a side note, this won't help for the systems already ordered and being implemented but, for future designs you should consider using the E/// backhaul solution. I will be providng complete details in another email. The good news is that the brocade switch goes away and an E/// switch (SP 210 or SPO 1410) is used for the eNB and backhaul connectivity, including ring designs and fiber interfaces. More to come on this...........................
All,

Most of you have already heard about a warranty concern whenever we house non-Ericsson equipment in the eNB cabinet.  I have enclosed a write-up with the warranty concern stated as we received it from Ericsson, and our positions and recommendations.

Following are the key points:

1)      Avoid if possible to house non-Ericsson equipment in the eNB cabinet

2)      The non-Ericsson equipment we may be tempted to house in the eNB cabinet is the Brocade Switch 6910 and the PTP800 microwave equipment.  I have enclosed the requirements from Ericsson that any equipment shall meet before it can be housed in the “transport enclosure” (i.e. the space allocated to house the switch toward the bottom of the cabinet).

a.       The Brocade switch 6910 meets all these requirements; but it bears the warranty issue as explained in the enclosed document on the warranty question.  We expect to always have an alternative in the indoor i.e. in-shelter deployment cases.  But, for outdoor deployment there may not be a viable alternative; in such case, we will bear the risk to put that switch in the eNB cabinet.

b.      The PTP800 equipment does not meet the temperature requirements in order to be housed in the eNB cabinet.  Therefore that equipment shall go in another cabinet or rack depending on the deployment case. This is no longer a warranty issue; it is a thermal issue.

3)      Any other non-Ericsson equipment shall not be housed in the eNB cabinet even if it meets all the enclosed requirements.

For outdoor deployments, the HEC (Hardware Engineering Center) is working with PdM, PS LTE SE, and BayWEB Field Engineering to recommend the suitable 3rd party cabinet to house non-Ericsson equipment at the site. That team is also working on the drawing of the cabling between the different cabinets of racks for the site plans of interests.  The outcome of that work will be shared with all the Field Engineering/Account Teams.  You are welcome to join the working group however.

Should you have any question or issue with the above points or the recommendations in enclosed document, please let me know (please make sure to include at least Michelle Johnson in any such communications).

Please share this with anyone I may have missed.

Regards,

Soro

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

A Aaron Claessens

These are a completely different from the Brocade (and the SIU) ... they really fit a different place. These are ment for driving BIG ring networks with significant psudowire wire (TDM) support ... these have to be much more expensive than other options. We will need to look at this by a case by case basis as this is a good fit feature by feature to ALU, but it likely quite over cost for many solutions.

F Frank DeFazio

The SP 210 is only $1220 which is what most sites would use. The aggregation hub sites which will be minimal use the SPO 1410 and that configuration is about $17k depending on what the requirements are. Bottom line is that the entire E/// backhaul solution is a lot less that designing in the PTP 800 solution plus, you get to remove the Brocade switches for an additional savings. Once I have a chance to get the details together I'll share them wth the team.

A Aaron Claessens

My understanding is that the E/// SIU situation is not settleled ... at least not as of last week per Criag ... They continue to investigate the new SIU and wether it will provide appropriate etherenet connectivity. At this point, engineering has not had an oportinituy to examine one in depth.

F Frank DeFazio

The SIU is another issue. This is a new set of switches just being introduced. We have approval from the product team to propose them. Of couse they want to test them so they are pushing for testing to happen in R2. I have just proposed this solution for New Jersey.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?