CAB installation looping

// Expert user has replied.
J Jon Preedy 3 years 5 months ago
1 5 0

Team... I have a customer provisioning a bunch of CAB files to an MC55A0 using MSP331. They have rolled up the CAB files into a package using the general file template. What they are reporting is that the package is never marked as "complete", and the CABs just keep re-installing on top of themselves. I'm yet to test this, but has anyone seen anything similar? My recommendation is to re-cut the package as a persistent CAB install, but I can find no documentation to support this... Which raises a second question: what is considered "best practice" for deploying CAB files to mobile devices from MSP? And why? (Seeing as package building documentation is so scarce...) Any feedback is appreciated!   :) Thanks, -JP

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

...an if you clean boot the device your cab installed application is lost and not reinstalled. Why not using in MSP package builder the template "Persistent cab install". This ensures that the system keeps a copy of the cab file which will be reinstalled after clean boot by the MSP Agent.

S Sean Wheatley

I saw a cab looping problem before with a package for updating radio firmware on the MC55. The radio firmware came as a cab and if you chose the persistent cab template in MSP package builder to build/import the package, the radio firmware update would always happen twice! In the end I think the solution was to use the general file template (even though it was a cab) and to drop the file into the \ (root directory) of the terminal. It didnt loop after that. I hope that helps.

R Randolph Kaiser

The looping occurrs because MSP does not see the cab file and will automatically reinstall it.  When you build the package you can select delete file after install and then MSP wont loop.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

I always install cab as generic package, copying the cab file to \Temp and having the install command as:  \windows\wceload.exe /noui /delete 0 \Temp\cabfile.cab This always works! By the way, I ignore the unistall command/syntax, does anyone know?

A Arsen Bandurian

First of all, it would help to see the exact settings used to create the package. Also, it is probably better to use a special CAB template (such as " Persistent  CAB Install") instead of "general file" template - then you can blame MSP for installing CABs incorrectly :) With "Persistent CAB Install" template all you have to do is to specify the CAB file - MSP will take care of everything else (install/uninstall commands, copying to persistent store) itself. With "General File" you have to make that you're using the installer correctly (wceload? load_cab?) with correct syntax (WM? CE?), same for uninstaller, make sure you have no check-in command enabled or the cab will be installed every time MSP agent checks in :) P.S. You don't need package builder for that - MSP Web Package Buiding UI is sufficient for this task,

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?