threshold of roaming

J Jun-Hua Liu 3 years ago
2 0 0

Hi team, I know the exact algorithm of roaming from one AP to another will not be publicly released, but TESCO just wants to know the threshold of roaming, i.e. when the signal is lower than what value, it will consider connect to another one if available. It must depend on a lot of parameter, but maybe someone can tell me a proximate value? The problem that we encountered here is that around some particular positions in TESCO's stores, MC70/75 frequently roams from one AP to another one even the mobile computer does not move at all. After 5 packets are lost, their not-well-designed application will prompt an error message.

We have tested MC70 and MC75 with different versions of Fusion, but get the same result. APs are from Cisco and signal is quite good, about -60dB to -70dB. The signal from at least two APs is very close at those positions. I doubt that our pre-emptive roaming algorithm is good for moving from one AP to another, but not optimized well for staying between the middle positions of two APs. Is it right?

The reason that why the customer needs the threshold is that the Cisco guy said if we can get that value, they will change the setting on their APs to avoid mobile computers get signal around that value in the middle positions.

Following are the details of the environment.

MC70 WM5, Fusion 2.55.1.0.016R

MC70 WM6.1, Fusion 2.57.0.0.024B

MC75 WM6.5, Fusion 3.00.2.0.006R

Cisco AP

AP1242: IOS 1240-k9w7-m, version 12.3(8)JEA3, release software (fc2)

All the data rates are enabled.

Thank you!

Junhua

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?