How to attribute automatically devices to a site

// Expert user has replied.
E Erick Rondin 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

Hi, I am looking for an automatic way to attribute a site to devices to see them in the device tree view site by site. I have 750 sites that I can create using a csv file but in the staging process

I don't want to choose manually in a list of 750 sites which one to attribute to the device
I don't want to create a Staging Profile to inherit from each site

I imagine something like a csv files with all the 750 files created where I can input the device serial number in a column and import all in the MSP. Not sur it can be possible to do it. Any idea is welcome Thanks

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

E Erick Rondin

Hi Larry, This has not been already deployed and will be a batch configuration. I forgot to mention that this is batch devices (about 3 or 4 by site) that will use the ActiveSync connection to download the configuration and report their state when doing the check-in in the cradle. There will never have IP adress on the unit. At the moment I don't know where the Staging will be done depending on the solution we can provide. I don't know about the Relay Server architecture (only one on the MSP or one for each store). The goal is to have a Device Tree view that can show 750 sites with the units attached to it.

A Allan Herrod

Erick; You haven't really provided enough information for us to recommend a specific approach.  There are many ways to do Site Assignment in MSP and the most common are covered in the documentation.  In particular, in Understanding MSP 3.3.1, on Page 126 and in Using MSP 3.3.1 on Page 97.  Since you say that you "don't want to choose manually in a list of 750 sites which one to attribute to the device" and that you "don't want to create a Staging Profile to inherit from each site", that rules out a couple of the more common ways. Since you also said that there "will never have IP adress on the unit", that likely rules out IP address-based automatic Site Assignment and WLAN infrastructure-based Site Assignment.  Relay Server-based Site Assignment might still be viable, but only if you end up deciding to have a one-to-one correspondence between Relay Servers and Sites, which is why Larry asked about that.

What it ultimately comes down to is that MSP cannot perform magic.  It cannot somehow know what Site a device is or should be at "automatically" without some information that can be used to base that decision on.  The title of you post used the phrase "attribute automatically devices to a site" which lead us to try and see how it could be done "automatically".  But in fact, it sounds like you are considering "manual" method, such as importing a CSV file. Yes, you could assign devices to Sites manually using CSV files, such as based on serial number, as you proposed.  Keep in mind, however, as discussed on Understanding MSP 3.3.1, on Page 93, "In most cases, best results will be achieved if only a single method of origin is used for any one Device Attribute for all devices in a given MSP system."  So, if you plan to do "manual" Site assignment using CSV, you should not also use any other method of "automatic" Site assignment. Also keep in mind that you can ONLY import a CSV file to assign devices to Sites once those devices have been discovered.  If you import a CSV file that contains a line to assign a Site to a device whose serial number is not known, because that device has not been discovered yet by MSP, then it will be ignored.  MSP will NOT save the Site for that device and apply it later, once that device has been discovered.  This means that if devices are discovered over time, manual Site assignement using CSV files could require that multiple CSV imports be performed, although you could use the same master CSV file each time, since it would likely be benign to reassign a device to the same Site. Another approach that might be used is to use Dynamic Staging to assign devices to a Site based on a serial number.  This would have the advantage that you could use Staging Batches to define the Sites to which various groups of devices belong and would cause a device to become assigned to the correct Site as part of the Staging and hence to be seen as being at that Site the first time it is discovered by MSP. Without knowing more about your needs, we can only provide information about the possible approaches and leave you to pick the one that best suits your needs. Allan

L Larry Dykes

What version of MSP? how many of your devices are already deployed at sites and on MSP, vs. how many will be staged and sent to sites? will staging be done or allowed AT the sites? And.. is there an attribute that will be reported to MSP by the devices, that could be used to determine the site? for example, if you are using a different Relay Server at each site, then Relay Server could  be used to determine and set the Site or Relay Server could be used in lieu of Site. If it is possible to infer the site from the IP address, you could use the "ipsiteassign" technique.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?