Change GPRS connection with MSP

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

I have several MC9094 currently configured with MSP. The MC9094 has installed a cell phone chip from an ISP. The ISP will be replaced and the chip as well. I need to know how to reconfigure the devices to make the change. The only connection available that I have is GPRS. I have MSP Provision Can anyone help me accomplish this?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

A Allan Herrod

OK, then let's asses the practicality of this. First, since this change involves physically touching the device, to replace the SIM card, we have to accept that it cannot be done remotely and in an unattended manner.  Because of this, my first reaction would be to say that since it requires a human to touch the device anyway, that it likely makes sense to have that human re-Stage the device with the new GPRS Network Settings and to do so only once the new SIM card has been inserted.  In most devices, the procedure to safely replace the SIM card (including ESD grounding, etc.) would seem to indicate that this will be done by a person that can be trained to perform Staging.  And if the GPRS Settings, as they usually are, are common amongst all devices that are using the new SIM card, then it would likely be a simpler matter to use a Staging Profile that has JUST a GPRS Settings Object in it and perform Barcode-Based Staging to get the device onto the new GPRS Network. If re-Staging the device is considered unworkable, then it gest quite a bit more complicated.   There is no problem with the MSP Agent sending down new GPRS Settings OTA.  The problem is that once those GPRS Settings are applied, the device will cease to be managed by MSP until the SIM card is changed.  To prevent loss of network connectivity, it would be necessary to defer application of the new GPRS Settings until the SIM card is changed, which would require a way to know WHEN the SIM card has been changed. MSP 3.3.1 does support Detached Conditions which allow a Job to be sent down and fully downloaded onto the device, but NOT executed until some Conditions are met.  This is specifically designed to allow this sort of situation to be handled.  The challenge is to decide on the right Conditions to use to trigger the application of the new GPRS Settings.  As it stands, I don't see any perfect solution since we do not have any Condition that can directly check the SIM card to see which carrier it is for.  You could use a Confirm Condition and periodically ask the Device User if he has switched the SIM card.  You could use an AdapterTime Condition to check if it is on or after the date/time when the SIM card is supposed to be switched.  You could use a Connectivity Condition to check to see if connectivity has been lost.  But any of those could have the potential for false detections. In short, the ideal solution to this problem seems to be the first one, since the human that physically changes the SIM card is in the best position to initiate the application of the new GPRS Settings.  Anything else is likely to run at least some risk of misdetection of the situation. If this were a common request that needed a high reliability solution, what I would likely propose is the development of a new Condition Class that allowed checks to be made against specific information stored on the SIM card.  That Condition Plug-In would use the SIM API to read selected information from the SIM card and compare it against value(s) entered into the Condition Object.  Such a Condition would then allow a Condition to be defined which would fire only when the SIM card in a device has certain information in it, such as a new carrier name.  Such a Condition Plug-In could be developed using the MSP PDK, or a GRIP could be filed to request it, but there is no guarantee when or if we would decide that there was sufficient business justification to do it.

A Allan Herrod

Let me see if I understand what you are asking.  You want to change ISPs and hence need to change SIM cards, which implies that you will need to physically touch devices to remove the old SIM card and insert the new SIM card.  Then, once the new SIM card has been put into any given device, new GPRS Settings need to be applied to define how to connect via the new ISP.  Is this correct?

P Pablo Moriconi

yes, that is correct. This is exactly what I want

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?