AP-7131 - Connecting two buildings

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 4 0

We have a customer that needs to connect one building to another that is about 1/2 mile away.  There is a line of site between the two buildings.  The APs (or at least antennas) will need to be outdoors. As I understand it, installations use the 5.2 ghz radio for bridging and the 2.4 ghz radio for data access.  So in our case, the suggestion would be to use the ML-5299-BYGA15-012 (ANT: Yagi 4.9-5.5GHz) for bridging and then use some standard omni-directional antennas for data access (for the mobile devices).  Knowing that the AP7131 has three antenna ports on each side...  Do we need 3 Yagi and 3 Omni antennas for each side of the bridge?  How about mounting brackets for the antennas and a NEMA box for the AP7131? Has anyone done this before?  Thanks.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

E Efkan YILMAZ

Hi Dino, please consider the ML-2452-PNL9M3-036 MIMO Dual Band Selector as an alternative. This antenna has 8 dBi gain on 2.4 GHz which should be good enough for a 1/2 mile. The benefit you will get is, that there are three antennas in one housing. This makes the installtion much easier... I have already used this antenna in several projects and it worked well. Best regards, Angelo

E Efkan YILMAZ

Thanks Angelo. It would be great to have one in our lab so we could do some tests.   I'll tell my Sales Associate about this and see if it can be used instead of yagis. -Dino

P Patrick Groot Nuelend

For outdoor deployments, we now can offer the AP7161 which has an IP66 rated housing, so you don't need a NEMA enclosure. Secondly, in WiNG5 you can configure to only use 1 antenna (Antenna Mode), however for higher bandwidth it is better to use multiple antennas and MIMO (even in an outdoor environment).

E Efkan YILMAZ

The AP7131 was selected because of the FIPS requirement.  I found a vendor that sells a NEMA box for the AP7131. http://www.smart-rf.co.uk/Enclosure_Details.html I also found out that I have the option to use 1, 2 or 3 yagi antennas.  1 for basic connectivity, 2 to eliminate any multipath issues, and 3 if I want to eliminate the multipath issues and increase bandwidth. My next trick is to figure out all the connectors.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?