AP65XX WiNG5 OS

// Expert user has replied.
G Gary Hartstone 3 years ago
313 7 0

Hi, Is anyone aware of a way to perform a default reset on the new AP65XX devices if you loan the AP to someone and they reset the password (and then forget it). Also a potential issue if they disable the secondary IP, meaning you cannot connect via a ZeroConfig IP determined from the MAC address.  On the older APs you could connect a Comm port cable and perform a passwd default/reset system to reset to factory default. But since there's no console port on these devices, there's no way of doing the same. There are 2 jumper pairs exposed on the back of the unit, are these intended for some soft of reset tool that bridges the pins? Regards Gazza

Please register or login to post a reply

7 Replies

M Marcus Kurath

The attached tool may be helpful

A Arsen Bandurian

I talked to tech support just a few days ago and they shared this little bit of information:
The AP discovery tool is available by downloading WING 5.2.1. With that tool you will be able to find IP address of AP but you still need to know the credentials.

AP650, AP6532

There is no command or general reset password for resetting the password on AP650/AP6532. The customer needs to provide the MAC address of the AP and the tech support will generate a reset password for them. After the reset password is generated, the customer has to:

1.            Connect to the AP using SSL connection (AP650/AP6532 have no console port)
2.            Login to the AP using “reset” username and as a password use the one generated by tech support. Note: This resets the device to factory default configuration. I wish this thing has at least a reset pin, though :( Let's try and get the reset password util from Chris :)

D Damian Stock

I have a customer, located in another state, that has two AP6532s which are not responding to their zero configuration address and not requesting an IP address on VLAN1. They are also not visible from the discovery and reset tool. They have got lost somewhere in the mddle of moving them to tagged management VLAN 2 using their management VC. A reset cable seems to be the only thing we can use to get them working. How can we get hold of the pin outs for this cable? Thanks, Damian

A Andy Phillips

I'd be interested in knowing the pin outs too. AP65XX's are a pain if they've had any VLAN/subnet/password changes... We have an AP650 that won't adopt/appear on a controller, we can't connect to the zero-config IP and doesn't it request an IP. Essentially it powers up but that's it! Andy.

G Gary Hartstone

Hi Jared, Thanks for the response. However in my testing with AP6532s, as soon as you set an AP into StandAlone or Virtual Controller mode, it no longer permits adoption to an RFS#### when connected. You have to know the IP/Username/Password to log into the AP and perform a default reset before it will adopt to the controller. Is it possible I could get the AP Reset Windows utility that you mentioned?

J Jared Ebel

Yes - configuring the AP for autonomous or Virtual Controller operation disables MLCP so that the AP will not adopt to a controller.  In this case you would need the AP reset utility.  Please contact Chris Hinsz (PM) to request this tool.

J Jared Ebel

You are correct that the 4 pin connector recessed on the AP650/6532 is for a custom console adapter.  This is not generally available, so the easiest way to reset an AP to factory default config is to adopt it to a WiNG 5 controller via L2 adoption. You can either apply the default config profile and remove the device level overrides from the controller web UI, or connect to the AP's CLI via SSH / console to the controller.  From priv exec CLI, type "connect ".  This will connect you to the AP CLI, and from the priv exec prompt on the AP CLI you can enter "erase startup-config" > "commit" to reset it to factory default.  Reboot the AP but do not save it's config to startup.  When it reboots it will be in factory default config. If you have no controller available to use, there is an AP reset Windows utility available through limited distribution which will discover an L2-attached AP to your PC and reset it's configuration to factory default.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?