Antenna Diversity

A Andrew Michael Robinson 3 years ago
0 2 0

Hi, Customer wants to mount ap7161 antennas remotely from the  ap7161. Can someone confirm the correct antenna seperation distance? 2.4Ghz I believe should be at least 62.5cm between antennas. (Multiple of the 2.4GHz wavelength 12.5cm) 5.8Ghz I believe should be at least 25cm between antennas. (Multiple of the 5.8GHz wavelength 5cm) Any help on this greatly appreciated. Andy

Please register or login to post a reply

2 Replies

A Andrew Michael Robinson

Thanks for the great reponse. I will use this information with the customer.

J Juan-Antonio Martinez

I always recommended installing diversity antennas at a distance D such as:                D = (2k+1)L/4 where L is wavelength and k is 2, 3 or 4. Greater values for k would imply too much separation between antennas, so diversity effect decreases (both antennas must be close enough). In other words, odd multiples of quarter wavelength. I think I remember that measured distance on our old mounting brackets was actually this formula with k=2. However, on CWNA exam documentation, they simply talk about 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3... wavelengths. I do not much agree on having distances even multiples of half wavelength. I hope this helps!

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?