Handheld accountability software

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 5 months ago
1 3 0

All, Do any of your customers deploy any kind of accountability / user tracking software on their devices? By which I mean, a user picks up a device and has to sign on before they can do anything (pretty standard stuff), but then that sign on potentially will define what applications they have access to, and also at a corporate level they can track who used which device and when such that if it goes missing or gets damaged they can work out who is responsible. It seems quite simple but I can't think of many customers doing more than a simple sign-on and not taking it to the next step. This is primarily for a retail store environment but any large scale deployments would be good. Thanks IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

I Ian Jobson

Thanks Jesse, We are using AppCenter and are looking to build the solution around that, the customer was really just trying to find out what other people are doing. IJ

J Jesse Spence

Sure... Yeah, that's what we did and some sugguestions there.  I always thought there should be a solution for this, especially coming from the side who needed to keep track of them... Oh...  Another suggestion I heard at one point, was the employee needed to either hand in their drivers license or their employee badge in order to get a unit... I think in order to have access to various apps, based on need and access, the mobil unit would probably need to sign into the domain first...  Just guessing... Good luck, let us/me know what they come up with... Thanks... Jesse

J Jesse Spence

I don't have answers persay to this, but some experience and suggestions...  I came from a warehouse and we came up with a database that the user had to scan their employee badge and a barcode on the mobile computer to sign it out, or the unit was permanently assigned to them.  It has flaws as it's a very manual process. This company: http://www.opticalphusion.com/ is a partner of ours and they were recently in our office to talk about their solutions and we got on this dicussion.  They are doing some things with RFID to track the unit, some of our new mobile computers come with an RFID tag in them already, and then they put an RFID tag on the employees badge, with reader to track who has what.  I have a contact if you would like it... As far as signing on and selectiong various apps, what about App Center?  I think that can do what you are looking for.  The other option or an additional option is to create a group or sign on to the Wireless Network, so the user would need to sign on to even gain access to the network, you can normally track a MAC address and association at that point... Hope this helps... Jesse

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?