MC70 generating BOOTP request. Can we disable?

// Expert user has replied.
H Howard Laser 3 years ago
6 5 0

1) 16:40/01/18/2011 2) 4 hyour 3) MC70 4) WM5.0 5) 2532766 Customer has been diagnoing "looping behavior" on their MC70's using the CRD7000-4000ER Ethernet cradle with Network traces. They have captured MC70 trying to obtain a BOOTP request from the cradle, and want to see if they can turn this functionality off at the device/cradle. As per Ken Rivalsi, the device must be generating this request, the cradle just passes it along. Can this be turned off via reg key? Is this generated from the Microsoft stack? the Application?

Please register or login to post a reply

5 Replies

D David Meyer

Please have the customer provide an ethernet trace or netlog showing what they think is incorrect. DHCP packets have bootp information inside them.  If that is what they are seeing, then there is nothing wrong. DM

H Howard Laser

Thanks, David...I jsut sent you an e-mail which contains a screenshot of a section of the trace they have marked...let me know if you need the full trace.

D David Meyer

The packet they are complaining about is coming from their server, not from our device.  If they think that is a problem, they need to look into their server configuration. If they have more that they need looked at by us, they will need to send the actual capture.

T Tom Lewis

Why do they want to disable DHCP? Assigning a static IP address will probably disable it.

H Howard Laser

The customer is not trying to disable DHCP, but believes that if our device
is trying to obtain a BOOTP issued address instead of a DHCP address this may be responsible for the looping behavior they see. I am trying to find out what is generating the BOOTP request from our device. Is it possibly their application which requests via the Microsoft TCP/IP stack? Could it be the devices "state" at the the time it makes the request that determines whether it uses BOOTP or DHCP? For example...while it is rebooting?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?