What is the condition for Level2 Mint Link

A Antony Lee 3 years ago
0 5 0

Dear all What is the condition for a Level 2 Mint Link to be formed ? I have setup a test environment to simulate a NOC / Remote Site deploy. When I issue sh mint neighbors at one of the AP-7131, it showed all neighbours are in Level 1. ap7131-445364>sh mint neighbors 2 mint neighbors of 68.44.53.64: 68.41.DF.F4 (ap7131-41DFF4) at level 1, best adjacency vlan-1928 70.38.03.1A (rfs7000-38031A) at level 1, best adjacency ip-192.168.7.101:24576 The following is my configuration : 1.    RFS7000 is resided on VLAN 1927, RF domain emblab-main-rfdomain 2.    2 AP-7131 are resided on VLAN 1928, RF domain emblab-br01-rfdomain 3.    VLAN 1927 and VLAN 1928 are separated by a router 4.    VLAN for control traffic in RF domain emblab-br01-rfdomain : VLAN 1927        VLAN for conrol traffic in RF domain noc-rfdomain : VLAN 1928 Attached is the configuration of the RFS7000. Regards Antony

Please register or login to post a reply

5 Replies

K Kevin Marshall

Anthony, If you read section 1.1 it clearly documents what links are created where and at which level. 1) A level 2 IP based MINT link is established between the Controllers in the cluster. 2) The Access Points in the store establish level 2 IP based MINT links to a Controller in the Data Center and pull down their assigned RF Domain, Profile, Overrides and Policies. The RF Domain includes the Control VLAN ID which determines the VLAN the Access Points in the store use to disctover themselves, 3) The Access Points establish a layer 2 level 1 MINT links between themseves over the Control VLAN. They elect an RF Domain Manager. 4) All Access Points except the elected RF Domain Manager tear down their level 2 IP based MINT links to the Controller but maintain their level 1 layer 2 MINT links between themselves. Once everything is up and running, the Controllers will have a lavel 2 IP based MINT link to each elected RF Domain Manager at each site. If you have 1000 sites, you will have 1000 level 2 MINT links. The APs at each site will also have a level 1 MINT link between themselves (over there Control VLAN). The reason we use level 2 MINT links from the remote sites to the Controllers is to ensure the Access Points at each site cannot communicate with Access Points at other sites. If you deployed everything using level 1 MINT links, each Access Point would see all the other deployed Access Points which would cause severe scaling issues. Using level 2 MINT links from each remote site to the Data Center isolates the Access Points at each site. APs at one site cannot see APs at other sites. However APs within the site can see other APs within the site. Hope this helps! Kevin

K Kevin Marshall

The other thing to check is the DHCP options being supplied to the Access Points. Connect to one of the Access Points within the site and issue a show ip dhcp-vendor-options. To form a level 2 MINT link to the Controller, the Access Points must be supplied DHCP option 191. The DHCP string needs to use the following format:     pool1=,;level=2     or     pool1=;pool2=;level=2 The other thing I noticed is that your AP7131 profile is missing the parameter for it to obtain additional options from the DHCP server. Without this option the AP7131s will loose communications as soon as they adopt.     interface vlan 1928      ip address dhcp      ip dhcp client request options all      You also don't need the bridge VLAN statement! I have made a few changes and attached a new cleaned up config which you can use. Regards, Kevin

A Antony Lee

Hi Kevin Thanks very much. I was using DHCP option 189. Now, I changed the option to 191 and level Mint is working. Many Thanks. Regards Antony

K Kevin Marshall

Please reference the following guide which highlights how the NOC model works and how each device communicates: http://compass.mot-solutions.com/doc/405305256/WiNG_5.X_How_To_-_NOC.pdf Regards, Kevin

A Antony Lee

Hi Kevin I was following the document, however, the Mint links were still in Level 1. I don't what was doing wrong in my setup. Regards Antony

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?