MiNT Tunnel Issues across Juniper SSG5 VPN Tunnel

B Bruce Olson 2 years 11 months ago
1 8 0

I have a new installation of a RFS7000 and AP6532. I am looking for any experience or known issues while attempting to get an AP6532 to successfully adopt and create the MiNT protocol tunnel via a WAN link supported by Juniper Router/Firewall/VPN tunnel terminator. Ultimately what we think we know at this point is that it appears the Multicast 0x8783 MLCP Discovery is being blocked or dropped in both directions.  That said the firewall rules are currently set to "Permit IP any any", no errors or drops are being logged at either end of the link. Architecture is AP6532->Cisco 3750 PoE switch -> Juniper SSG5 -> VPN tunnel -> WAN -> Juniper SSG520 -> Data Center LAN ->RFS 7000 RFS 7000 versions tried with no change in symptom: '5.2.0' : '5.2.21.0' : '5.2.12.0' Engineering last recommended version currently running: 5.2.12.0-010R w/GUI Patch RFS 7000 sees the AP6532 as 'online' but is not able to push changes to it.  If the AP6532 is reset by performing CLI 'erase startup-config' the AP6532 will adopt to the RFS 7000, but will only be placed into the default RF-Domain and does not pull down a profile as defined by auto provisioning match rules. Taking the same AP and moving it to a subnet that does not traverse the Juniper SSG hardware and the AP6532 will successfully adopt and pull down its profile. Customer is continuing to review topology for any potential blocking of Multicast8783 and will be opening a ticket with Juniper, but we need to be in front of this to be the customer advocate.  All comments and ideas are welcome!

Please register or login to post a reply

8 Replies

K Kevin Marshall

Bruce, As the MTU needs to match on both the Controller and Access Points it can only be applied to all devices currently. This is really not much of an issue as most MINT packets are small so having a lower MTU will not impact the operation of the system. Worst case you will see the ocasional large MINT packet being split into two pieces instead of being sent as one packet. Is the customer pushing back on this - if so what is there specific concearn? Regards, Kevin

S Sriram Venkiteswaran

I remember seeing in one of the WiNG5 release notes (think 5.4.1) and also with a customer, where with Juniper Routers you would have to disable IGMP Snooping. Looks like enabling this can cause the Juniper routers to drop our multicast packets.

K Kevin Marshall

IGMP snooping / pruning will drop un-known multicast traffic by default. The whole purpose of the feature is to only permit multicast traffic when members on the VLAN send a group membership report explicitly requesting the multucast group. If no host requests the group the multicast traffic is pruned! Regards, Kevin 

B Bruce Olson

Thank you Kevin for the additional detail and tool to assist in understanding and analyzing. My feedback to this information, based on your point of this being relatively common.  If this is the case, knowledge on the topic is nearly non-existent within any Installation, NOC how-to's or best practice documents, as well as our customers and partners first line of support appears wholly un-aware of this as a common situation.

C Chris Devereux

Kevin, Bruce, I've recently found this in another customer, where just one of their many stores has an MTU restriction.  Do you know if it is possible to set the MTU between a defined group of APs and the controller, or does it have to be globally?   Chris

T Trevor Miranda

There are some switches that don't bridge Ethertype 0x8783 depending on config. However, going by your topology, the AP is L3 adopted, hence all Mint packets between the controller will be over IP/UDP and no 0x8783 packets will be exchanged between the two. If indeed you're using L3 adoption: It is possible you have an MTU related issue, especially as you mention. > RFS 7000 sees the AP6532 as 'online' but is not able to push changes to it This suggests that smaller mint packets (required for adoption) go through but not the larger packets used for config push. Try this: Obtain the AP's mint id (on the AP, 'show mint id') Use mint ping to verify connectivity between the AP and controller. On the controller execute mint ping size 10000 If the first succeeds and the second fails it's likely you have an MTU issue. To change the mint MTU, in config mode mint-policy global-default mtu 1300 Both the AP and the controller must have the mint mtu configured correctly ('show mint config' will display the MTU value in use) If that gets things working for you, note that 1300 is an extremely conservative value and you should check what value closest to 1500 works for you (too small a value will unnecessarily generate additional IP fragments for mint traffic)

B Bruce Olson

Trevor you are correct. I had my suspicions on the MTU when I identified the WAN link was via VPN tunnel, but support kept waving me off on the topic. I believe generally speaking a VPN tunnel doesn't cause this issue, but rather the combination of our RFS and the Juniper SSG5 simple does not share the same interpretation or approach to packet fragmentation and reassembly. Some follow up details: The mint ping

K Kevin Marshall

Bruce, This is actually a common issue and its not uncommon for us to have to reduce the MINT MTU to get adoption working in MPLS or VPN envrionments. A good tool to test with is a Windows utility called mtupath.exe ( http://www.iea-software.com/products/mtupath.cfm) which can quickly tell you the maximum MTU supported by each device in the path. Regards, Kevin

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?