MC3000 - EMDK ?

// Expert user has replied.
S Seena Menon 3 years ago
1 9 0

Hi, I have been assigned a task to understand how we can begin development on our handheld devices, and I am new to this. Apart from EMDK packages, what are other options to get some development work going for the handhelds? We use MSP for packaging and deployment as I understand. Thanks Seena

Please register or login to post a reply

9 Replies

T Timothy Murphy

You'll need ActiveSync to install PB on your device from the Program Files menu option on your desktop. There is no specific IDE for PocketBrowser development nor extra requirements.  Any HTML editor will do.  I am a little partial to PSPad, but have also used Notepad.  The documentation included with the Pocket Browser 3.0 Developer Help.chm file will help explain a lot by all of the APIs called out with code snippet examples.

S Seena Menon

I see. I am refering to the "Installation Requirements - Development PC / Device Runtimes" on the below link - this suggests setting up a framework: http://support.symbol.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=k… Thanks for suggesting PocketBrowser - will check it out. Seena

T Timothy Murphy

Yes, I apologize for my hasty comment.  Those other requirements are necessary for your development environment, and all downloadable from Microsoft.

S Seena Menon

No worries at all Tim. I downloaded PocketBrowser - I am a little confused about how this works. It has setup files for the device. So I would install this on the device - but how do I setup the development environment for this? For example, EMDK has 2 components - for development PC and the device. Does PocketBrowser have something similar? I don't see anything similar in the installation package. Please help. Seena

S Seena Menon

So from what I understand, to install applications on the handhelds that are developed using EMDK for .NET or EMDK for C, the handhelds (and development PC) will have to be set up with .NET framework / Visual Studio. Our handhelds (or PCs) don't currently have this setup. Or am I misunderstanding the instructions in the Release Notes for these packages? Let me know what you think. Thanks Seena

T Timothy Murphy

To Prashanth's point, the EMDK has all of the necessary DLLs that sets up your device and Visual Studio IDE to run and develop .NET applications on your devices.  If you're looking for web development pre-CE6.0, you may want to investigate PocketBrowser.  This was the pre-cursor to RhoElements, and would make any future transitions to RhoElements, if desired, much easier.

A Arsen Bandurian

Basically you have four options: * Native C/C++ : EMDK for C/C++ * .NET: EMDK for .NET (the most advanced and frequently updated one) * Java: EMDK for Java (the least updated one) * Web technologies: RhoElements (http://launchpad.motorolasolutions.com/) Anyway, check that your particular device model is supported

S Seena Menon

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the devices are not setup for .NET / Visual studio framework to use EMDK for C or EMDK for .NET. For EMDK with Java - we are having challenges with the development environment not being setup for IBM WEME (this is for J9VM). From what I read about RhoElements, I thought I need Windows CE 6.0 or above. Our devices are on Windows CE 5.0. Any other options that you can think of?

P Prashanth Kadur

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "Unfortunately the devices are not setup for .NET / Visual studio framework to use EMDK for C or EMDK for .NET.".  Could you please eloborate?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?