Onboard Captive Portal Redundancy

// Expert user has replied.
Y Yoshihiro Sato 3 years 5 months ago
5 3 0

Hi

I need your input about onboard captive portal redundancy, which might be the basic.. We are configuring 2 x RFS7000 (V5.3.1.0-009R) with guest access. AP-6532 is being used for this with tunnel mode.

I am wondering how to configure captive portal policy. We can configure Captive Portal Server from the below. Internal, Centralized and Centralized Controller.

Now I am using Controller IP address (Primary RFS). In this case, if primary RFS fails, the captive portal does not work, as HTTP is redirected to primary RFS IP address..

Can we use VRRP for this purpose? Or should we use hostname? In this case, please tell me how to do this correctly?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

3 Replies

J Jared Ebel

No need to use VRRP in this scenario.  Captive portal redundancy is built in to the solution using the "Centralized Controller" server mode in the captive portal policy.   1.  Set the captive portal server mode to "Centralized Controller."   2.  Set the hosting VLAN interface to the tunneled VLAN ID for the guest WLAN.   3.  Set the Captive Portal Server hostname to an unresolvable FQDN (e.g. wing-guest-access.net).        This can be set to any value you desire as long as it is not resolvable. By nature of how the centralized controller captive portal server mode operates, the controller which has adoption of the APs will provide the captive portal service. Jared Ebel

Y Yoshihiro Sato

Hi all

I really appreciate the feedback.

Now I can confirm the captive portal redundancy by configuring the unresolved hostname with FQDN at my testing environment.

I will check a little more, but again thank you for your help.

C Chris Frazee

Hello Sato-san,       When implementing captive portal between two cluster members, you should be using "Centralized Controller" and enter an FQDN under "Captive Portal Server". It does not need to be a valid FQDN on the network, just something that both controllers share (example: sonic.2012.com). Also configure "Hosting VLAN Interface". Chris Frazee

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?