MC9090 - Some devices are reporting blank ESN

// Expert user has replied.
J Justin Salvage 3 years 5 months ago
9 4 0

I have a customer who is using the following code from our EMDK for .NET v2.6 to get the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) of a device programmatically…

SYMBOL.RESOURCECOORDINATION.TERMINALINFO TERMINALINFO = NEW SYMBOL.RESOURCECOORDINATION.TERMINALINFO();

TERMINALINFO.ESN; //this should return the ESN of the device.

However, customer stated that this “TERMINALINFO.ESN” property is returning an ESN on some devices, but returning blank values for others.  I asked customer to provide info on working and non-working devices.

Working...

Part#: MC9090-GFOHBEGA2WR (CE5)

Serial#: 7190000503676

OEM: 01.22.0001

Non-working (2 examples)...

Serial#: 8825000500406

OEM: 01.35.0000

Serial#: 8814000502996

OEM: 01.35.0000

I tested this code on my own MC9090 (CE5; OEM 01.35.0000) and the code properly returned an ESN value, therefore eliminating OEM v01.35.0000 as the reason why the ESN does not show up.    My question is, why would some MC9090 CE5 devices report the ESN and other’s wouldn’t?  The customer is asking for an explanation and I cannot seem to come up with one. In addition to this, is their any solution to this issue?  If there devices are supposed to report an ESN, but don't, would this be fixable by sending the device inf or repair to have a new ESN written?  Or is the customer stuck?

Any pointers or explanation you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

J Justin Salvage

The customer is Eric Barte from DATA AGE BUSINESS SYSTEMS INC. Thanks.

D Dietmar Doehring

I've been seeing the same thing over the last year.  SET helped me through the last batch.  Engage your quality person to help you drive it. 

E Eric Liner

Justin,  What customer is this for?  We had a similar issue with MC65s reporting zeros for the ESN.  Please refer to SPR22042.  Thanks

E Eric Liner

Justin,  What customer is this for?  We had a similar issue with MC65s reporting zeros for the ESN.  Please refer to SPR22042.  Thanks

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?