VC5090 - Intermec 3270 Messaging Support

// Expert user has replied.
M Michael Holman 3 years ago
0 4 0

I have a customer who currently uses Intermec with their own TN3270 client. They have the ability to establish two way messaging from the command line. Wavelink claims they have no support for such a feature. It is being touted as a feature by Intermec in their newest devices. I need to know if we can achieve this functionality or any kind of Messaging on the VC5090. Has anyone seen this communication feature in action? Thanks for any response.

Please register or login to post a reply

4 Replies

M Michael Holman

Thanks for the input.  This messaging is done through the 3270 application. A manager at a desk can send a message to an LU and the LU can even respond. Our issue is that the VC5090 cannot respond to the message nor can it intitiate a message. Something in the Intermec allows it to do this.  I suspect Intemec helped them code this into the application more than a decade ago but no one really knows.  I may be able to appease them with MSPs capability to send a fixed message.  The lack of a response may not be a deal killer.

M Mark Mann

Hi Mike, It's been a while but I believe the Wavelink Avalanche software has the sending text messages to devices. Also should look to position our Team Express PTT as a feature that our devices can support as another differentiator.  Not sure about the VC5090 but did see an older TeamExpressMobileComputerIntegrationGuide-RevC.pdf document that mentions the VC5090 being supported Sincerely, Mark

H Hunter Bradshaw

I don't think we ever released a PTT Express/TEAM Express for the VC5090.  I have a customer using HipVoice on the VC5090.  They only use it for text messaging between fork lift operators and supervisors using desktop PC's.  This sounds like it may be what you're looking for.  The customer isn't using the PTT functionality of HipVoice on the VC5090.  This would require the purchase of an extra PTT mic/handset. Ken

A Arsen Bandurian

I bet that if you inquire more on this topic you will be told that the solution also involves certain server-side application, to which all 'chatting' telnet clients have session open. You can do this wil Wavelink if you find any telnet-enabled chat app. Google for "Telnet Chat".

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?