Automatic update of Root Certificate

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
5 2 0

I have a customer using PEAP on MC9090 and MC9190 units.  They are using a golden image that has their Fusion profile defined and a root certificate stored in \Application\RootCerts.  Once the devices get deployed the customer is asking how they can update the root certificate automatically (i.e. when it expires or when they need to refresh it).  Does anyone have a customer that has done this?  I thought we could send the new root certificate down to \Application\RootCerts via an MDM and have it perform some type of reboot to reprocess the certificate import.  However, I was told that this may cause duplicate root certificates with the same name.  Any best practices on how to automatically push and import a new root certificate would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

A Allan Herrod

Ken; Fusion accesses the root certificate by name, so if you replace the old certificate with a new certificate of the same name, then Fusion will use the new certificate the next time it needs to connect.  If the validity window for the new certificate overlaps the validity window for the old certificate, then all should be fine, assuming of course that you deploy the new certificate before the old one expires.  You can use MSP to do this.  From MSP 4.0 onwards, the ability to detect when a certificate is going to expire and acquire and redeploy a new one automatically has been supported.  This might also be possible with other MDMs.  The key thing is to make sure that the old certificate is removed as part of the installation of the new certificate. If this is not done, Fusion may use the wrong one and connectivity will be lost once the old certificate expires even though the new certificate is present.  If there is only one certificate of the given name, then Fusion will of necessity use that one. Allan

E Efkan YILMAZ

Thanks Allan.  So if we replace the current certificate file in \Application\RootCerts with one of the same name (using an MDM like Athena), how do we get Fusion to reprocess the certs in this folder so the new one is used?  I don't think having the device reprocess CPY and REG files will do this, correct?  Is there a way to force Fusion to reprocess certificates in \Application\RootCerts?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?