ET1 - System Cert for MDM Management

// Expert user has replied.
J Jonathan Boriotti 3 years ago
2 7 0

1) Time/Date 11/27/12

2) Response time 4 hr

3) Product ET1N0

4) OS Version Rev D

5) Clarify Case # 2730932 APAC Tech Support is looking to obtain what they call a "System Cert" for the ET1. Ultimately, their goal is to be able to manage GPS and Wifi settings, and their belief is the System Cert will allow this, in conjunction with an MDM system. I'm not entirely sure if I understand what they're asking for, as the what I've found related to certs was one of two: Certificate for Websites, or Certificate Signing to allow an application to run on the device, which is created at compile time. I'm at a loss here for how to help them with their request.

Please register or login to post a reply

7 Replies

E Evgene Vigoutov

in general:
we cannot “provide the customer with the platform key”, since that is private to whomever builds the OS.  What would have to happen is the MDM vendor’s Agent must be signed by Motorola (by the person who builds the device OS).  The MDM vendor’s Agent will need to be re-signed each and every time they change and must be differently signed with the platform key of each device model that has a different platform key (for example, MC40 and ET1 have different platform keys). for more details I just forwarded you the mail chain about.

J Jonathan Boriotti

Did the previous post help? I don't have a lot more to offer in terms of information regarding their request

E Evgene Vigoutov

yes, the request is clear, still trying to get answers

J Jonathan Boriotti

Still looking for an answer on this - can anyone help?

E Evgene Vigoutov

you need to get them explaining what is this Cert. Then we will be answer if it does exist

J Jonathan Boriotti

"One of software developers is trying to force enabling the Wi-Fi and GPS via MDM (Mobile Device Management). Actually this case relates to our previous case #2712439, it was taken by Roger-san.

#2712439 is a product issue. Wi-Fi or GPS is randomly disabled when reset ET1. I attached an e-mail which has the issue reproduction steps, hope your scanning. Roger couldn't reproduce our issue on his device, however it is a critical for us. Hence the software developer decided to manually enable the Wi-Fi and GPS via MDM.

However according to their developer, the system cert is needed to perform above operation. We also think the system cert should be provided from the device manufacturer (Motorola). The MDM vendor said that it is able to publish an independent cert on each functions." Directly from APAC Support, edited for clarity.

J Jonathan Boriotti

Anyone know what APAC might be referring to? Is this obtainable?

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?