Windows 7 / WMDC connectivity issues

// Expert user has replied.
E Efrem Robinson 3 years 5 months ago
0 1 0

I have a customer using our MC95s with new Windows 7 based machines and the Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) utility which replaced Activesync in the Windows XP world... The customer is experiencing intermittent problems where the MC95 either isn't recognized by the WMDC utility or it complains that the appropriate device drivers aren't installed.... They never had a problem with their legacy Activesync hosts... Has anyone else experienced this problem??? My MSI issued laptop is still running the XP corporate image and I don't have a Windows 7 machine to test with... Thanks, Efrem Robinson

Please Register or Login to post a reply

1 Replies

J Jesse Spence

Efrem... I might be able to actually help you for a change!!!  :) See this link here, I had a similiar issue last  year: http://devcentral.motorola.com/view/28646/view.aspx Look at the post from Andrea with the links - bunch of information there, which leads me to the link below: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-PL/w7itpromedia/thread/5c… The very last post on this link fixes this issue.  This was due to a patch Microsoft put out that blocks this communication because of a virus out break.  You just need to give some permissions in the registry.  This has fixed this issue everytime I have ran into it... Here is the info from the post:

We have fixed this problem on our network.
The key to this was understanding the role of the TrustedInstaller security principal in the Windows Resource Protection feature introduced in Windows Vista. TrustedInstaller is a Windows service with the display name Windows Modules Installer in the Services list. Its full name is NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller, which is what you use in permissions dialogues and the like.
The reason we had a problem is because we followed the advice issued by Microsoft in response to the Conficker virus outbreak. See  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007
In this Virus alert, Microsoft do point out that following their advice might cause problems with installing updates. Our implementation of that advice was to create a group policy which modified the permissions on the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost.
In order to allow Windows Mobile Device Centre to install successfully we reverted the permissions back to what we think is their default values. On our PCs the key permissions are:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Owner: TrustedInstaller
TrustedInstaller permissions: Full Control & Read, not inherited
 HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost
Owner: System
TrustedInstaller permissions: Full Control & Read, inherited from CurrentVersion
Microsoft have effectively told us that the Mitigation steps in the advice were only supposed to be applied temporarily. However, if someone doesn’t want to be responsible for removing this GPO, as far as we can tell, once WMDC is installed you can re-apply it without breaking anything WMDC related; devices are detected, drivers installed and connections established as normal.

Hope this helps... Jesse

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?