Single Hop Mesh and Virtual Controller

// Expert user has replied.
S Sunil Kodiyan 3 years 5 months ago
1 4 0

Is it possible to deploy and single hop mesh over a virtual controller setup? WiNG Version: 5.3.1.0-009R AP model: AP7131 I have 3 AP7131 setup in a single hop mesh network. AP1 - Mesh portal AP2 and AP3 - Mesh Clients Im wondering if I can also set the 3 AP's up in a virtual controller setup: AP1 - VC adopting AP2 and AP3 The issue being, that single hop mesh requires the mesh-vlans to be tunneled but virtual controllers do no support tunneled vlans ( WiNG_5.X-Best Practices). I have a basic setup of this configuration in my lab, with working mesh links and with the AP's adopted to their virtual controller (AP1 is the mesh portal and the virtual controller). Am I missing something or does this configuration actually work?

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

K Kevin Marshall

While you can technically extend VLANs between APs and a Virtual Controller (this is WiNG 5 afterall), this is not officially supported. Why not use MeshConnex instead which supports its own native encapsulation (i.e. doesn't use MINT)? IMHO is much easier to configure and setup. Regards, Kevin

S Sunil Kodiyan

MeshConnex would definitely be the best solution and the customer is looking to make the upgrade to 5.4.1. However, till that happens I have to work with the existing architecture. Thank you both for your input!

H Henrich Hofbauer

I had a similar case some time ago. It does work, but it is not supported configuration as you have seen in the best practices document.

S Sunil Kodiyan

So vlan traffic can be tunneled over a virtual controller? 

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?