iPhone on WiNG 5.4

// Expert user has replied.
M Marc Fluhrer 3 years 5 months ago
1 2 0

We are currently piloting a Analytics system with AP7131's running WiNG 5.4. When a user with an iPhone 5 tries to get on the Captive Portal Guest Network it takes a few minutes for the iPhone to authenticate to the Open Guest Network. Other devices are able to connect within a few seconds. Once an iPhone connects and is connected the first time, the following times it connects it does it very fast. I am well aware of all the bad words I can use with the Apple devices when it comes to WiFi. I wanted to see if anyone has experienced this and if you have any recommended settings you have seen to work well. Data Rates, settings, hidden settings. I am currently doing some wireless traces to see what is going on, but I wanted to check with the field first. Thanks.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

J Jack Burleson

Hi Marc, I have been running for a time with a major customer.  We have been using WiNG 5.2.11 but are now on 5.4.1 in several stores with no problems.  We have tested extensively with the "iPhone" devices. The MAJOR issue that causes issues with iPhone has been that you MUST have the SSID of the WLAN's it is using broadcast for it to reliably roam / associate to them.  If you don't it spends a lot of time on every roam probing every SSID that is has remembered which really slows down association.  Attached is a "sample" of the config sections of the RFS6K config we utilize.  We are utilizing a RFS6K controlling AP7131 / AP650's in a location - so we are utilizing an "advanced" "centralized controller" Captive portal config where the web pages are manually created and loaded on the wireless controller.  I don't have any experience with a non-controller based captive portal usage but this should help.

M Marc Fluhrer

Thanks again Jack. We got the first time association time down to 2 seconds from about 80 seconds.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?