MSP 4 and redundancy

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
3 4 0

Hi I am looking information about installing MSP 4 in clustering. Can MSP 4 be deployed in two replicated servers? I need 24x7 service availability

Please Register or Login to post a reply

4 Replies

P Pablo Moriconi

Let me see if I understand, You are saying that I will need 1 Server for MSP, 1 Server for SQL and 1 Server for Relay (FTP). Is that correct? First off all what I need is two Datacenter located in different buildings. Two different locations in the city. We could call them Location1 and Location2. The two locations are connected with a dedicated access between them In this point I think the Location1 has one IP address and Location2 another. This could be the VPN IP Adresses. If I have all my Mobile Computers configured to connect to the MSP Server installed in Location1, what happen if the MSP Server Location1 fails? I will need to make MSP Location2 available to the mobile computers. How can I do that?  Wich are the steps to reconfigure all the MC? Could you give me more information? Thanks

P Pablo Moriconi

Another Question: Could MSP 4.x be installed in a Cluster composed by 2 Windows Server 2008? I need to know if MSP 4 can be insalled in Windows Server Failover Cluster Please clarify Regards

A Allan Herrod

We have no experience with installing the MSP Server in a failover cluster.  It might or might not work, but we would not be in a position to support it if anything doesn't work.  Something important to understand about MSP is that the MSP Server and the mobile devices NEVER talk to each other directly.  The MSP Server talks to the Relay Server(s) and the mobile devices talk to the Relay Server(s).  The MSP Server stores all its data and state on the SQL Server.  So, of the MSP Server fails, it can be replaced by an identically configured MSP Server, which is configured to talk to the same database instance on the same SQL Server.  The new MSP Server will then pick up where the failed one left off based on the data in the database.  All information about the Relay Server(s) to use comes from the database as well.  But is it mandatory that there NEVER be two MSP Servers configured to use the same database instance at the same time since they will compromise each other.  So, a warm standby could be done by having an identically configured backup MSP Server ready and started it only when/if the primary failed and was shut down.  If you can achieve that behavior safely with a failover cluster, then you might be OK, but we cannot certify such a solution.

A Allan Herrod

There is no fully redundant solution that we can recommend and support for MSP 4.x.  The most important aspect of MSP in terms of redundancy is SQL and that could leverage all supported mechanisms for making a SQL database redundant.  But the MSP Server itself cannot really use such techniques.  Luckily, the MSP Server itself, so long as SQL is elsewhere and no Relay Servers are on the same box, is easily replicated.  You could have a "warm standby" MSP Server that could be identically configured and pointed to the same SQL instance.  If the primary MSP Server ever went down, you could then activate the backup to minimize the downtime.  But we cannot claim to have a fully automated switchover solution.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?