AP-6521 Base WIPS and Advanced WIPS

// Expert user has replied.
Y Yoshihiro Sato 3 years 5 months ago
4 2 0

Hi

I need your clarification as I am confused…

Based on the system reference guide, I could see the below.

===

WIPS is not supported natively by an AP6511 or AP6521 model access point and

must be deployed using an external WIPS server resource.

===

On the other hand, I saw this is supported through another document.

So could you please tell me if the feature below is supported with AP-6521?

1) Base WIPS with device categorization The customer is expecting the rogue client can be detected if the device categorization is configured. Is this possible through Stand Alone mode and RFS based?

2) Off Channel Scanning AP-6521 supports this and can detect rogue AP which is running at the different channel?

3) AP-6521 with RFS-7010-ADWIP-LIC

If the customer wants to use Advanced WIPS, AP-6521 can work both for the client access and inline sensor?

Your side clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

Y Yoshihiro Sato

Hi Kevin-san

Thank you for your side input.

When I saw this with AP-6521, I found out the strange issue.

I could not find out Rogue AP detection in GUI

However, I could configure through CLI

Is this the expected behavior?

When configuring through CLI, Rogue AP detection seemed to be working with AP-6521 Standalone mode.

However, this did not seem to work correctly in case with RFS/AP-6521, although this might be misconfiguration…

Your side input would be greatly appreciated.

K Kevin Marshall

Sato San, Based on the information I have documented in the feature matrix both these platforms can be used with Advanced WIPS as well as ADSP. Both platforms also support Basic WIPs. The main difference between Basic and Advanced WIPS are as follows: Basic WIPS: - Included in WiNG 5.X - Provides neighboring AP information but cannot detect if the device is on the wired network. - Can detect ~ 32 events - Supports custom signitures - Provides manual classification - Radios can use on-channel and off-channel scanning. Advanced WIPS: - Requires a license on the RFS or NX Controller. - Provides neighboring AP information and can detect if the device is on the wired network. - Can detect ~ 35 events with automatic mitigation. - Requires dedicated sensor radios Obviously both the AP 6511 and AP 6521 are single radio devices so dedicating a radio for Advanced WIPs functions basically means you dedicating the Access Point as a sensor. This might be the point the reference guide was trying to make :) A detailed overview of each WIPS implementation is provided in the orrigional WiNG 5 summit content posted on the field enablement web-site. Regards, Kevin

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?