how to measure the impact on WWAN

// Expert user has replied.
E Efkan YILMAZ 3 years 5 months ago
1 2 0

I am planning to use MSP 3.3.1 to manage Motorola MC75A (500 devices) The devices will be out thera in he street. Once the devices were staged, the connection they use will WWAN. It is a 3G WWAN connection. Besides I am planning to use Data Collection and Analysis. My question is how to measure the impact on WWAN connection. Can I collect the data once the device is in the office? For example at night I don´t know how to estimate the bandwith I need

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

A Arsen Bandurian

Pablo, the impact on a 3G connection is typically negligible. It will, of course, depend on how frequently the devices check in, and how many metrics you want to collect, but we're talking (correct me if I'm wrong) < 100KB/day for normal check-ins + some data on top of that. This does not include any software that will be pushed to the devices, of course. If you do not need to track/manage devices while they're in the field, you can set up a check-in condition that will prevent MSP Agent from checking in at all. In your case I see it either as "Don't check during times of the day" and/or "Don't check in until connected to WLAN". Both, I believe, are of AdapterTime class. Hope this helps.

A Allan Herrod

It is unclear exactly what you want to know. If devices are on WWAN during the day, and if the WWAN data connection is active all day, and if MSP Agent is configured to check-in periodically, and if the MSP Agent is not configured to handle WWAN differently, then the MSP Agent will check in over WWAN on the configured schedule. Checking in over WWAN will require some bandwidth, of course, and checking in very frequently will increase that.  But what will most determine the bandwidth used is what, if anything, actually gets DONE during a check-in, which will be determined by what Polices you set up.  You could use Conditions attached to Policies to prevent some or all Policies from being initated while on the device is operating over WWAN. Unfortunately, MSP does not have any way to monitor the amount of data traffic that occurs over WWAN, so you can't use it to measure how much WWAN bandwidth it uses.  You can, however, use MSP data collection in such a way that data is collected all day, while the device is on WWAN but the data collected is not necessarily delivered to MSP over the WWAN.  That way, while you will get the information, you won't have to pay to transport that information over WWAN.  Of course, that means you would have a delay before the information was available (for example, until the device was connected over WLAN), but it may still be a viable trade-off.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?