Need for removable memory

A Al Henneborn 3 years 5 months ago
1 5 0

Removable memory is a large, slow extension of a terminal's main Flash memory.  Removable memory in Line Worker products (MC1, MC3, MC9) is typically used for: 

Device staging and update when Over The Air is not avaibale or desired
Lookup databases (e.g., parts lists, price lists)
Transport large amount of data when wireless is not available
Disaster recovery - Ability to retreive precious data in the event of terminal crash

If you are aware of other uses for removable memory, please respond accordingly. For next gen Line Worker products, product development teams are debating the need to provide a removeable memory (micro SD) slot.  If next gen LW products provide a cabled SD slot via USB that connects to terminal's connector, is an internal removable memory slot needed? Please respond accordingly.  If you believe that an internal memory slot is needed, please explain why.  Thanks.

Please Register or Login to post a reply

5 Replies

C Charles Brugger

I totally agree with Ian since: 1) The only way to do an OS upgrade with SOTI, is via SD card 2) Internally we  use the SD card to upgrade OS in the Service Centers. 3) Customers have come to depend on the SD card for OSupgrades, DBs, migrations, debugging, etc.

R Richard Linsley-Hood

I would have thought to meet all of the various customer requirements we should provide both an internal (thus not user accessable) and external via a slot (not cable) Micro SD card storage. The internal fixing is most desirable for those customers who do not allow tampering in any way with the storage. The external slot is useful for those who wish to have easily replaceable storage (for whatever reason). Having both would be best! Having neither would be very limiting.

E Efkan YILMAZ

Al,  I would strongly suggest keeping the SD card slots in future products for the reasons below: a) may be required for large datafiles i.e. up to 64GB can be stored on SD b) will be required if customer has an application which writes frequently to flash memory i.e. SD card can easily be replaced if flash is worn whereas internal flash disk requires an expensive board or chip replacement c) provides a good way to recover a unit which has corrupted internal flash d) low power draw and high performance compared to USB connected memory e) form factor+durability with an external USB cabled SD slot will not be acceptable to most customers f) some customers use SD cards to transfer device configurations from one device to another. I am also not sure of the reasons to remove the slot? It may save a few dollars but will put us at a severe competitive disadvantage in the majority of cases. Best Regards, Ian Hatton

E Efkan YILMAZ

Unless there will be a plenty of Gigs of dedicated internal flash memory which is (1) super-persistent and (2) not touchable by cold/clean boots - the internal slot is absolutely required at least for database lookup scenario. Batch mode is still widely used and can hardly imagine a Lworker happy with a born-to-be-rock-solid gadged with something loosely hanging from it...

D David Dederick

The internal memory slot can be a competitive differentiator for the reasons you listed. With the most important being disaster recovery.

Critical data will be lost if the user has to rely on an external connection to retrieve data from an inoperable terminal that cannot boot to an OS.

I have several customers that rely on the internal memory storage for critical data storage and terminal staging or restaging without user intervention.

It is unrealistic to force a customer to carry, or try to locate, an additional cable so that external memory can be accessed in the event of a critical failure.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?