MC40 running Cisco Jabber client

// Expert user has replied.
I Ian Jobson 3 years 5 months ago
5 2 0

All, Does anyone have a customer running the Cisco Jabber VoIP client on an MC40? My customer seems to be having a problem whereby after a few days / weeks of successful operation they start experiencing problems with the screen going black and unresponsive as soon as the phone rings. Obviously this becomes a bit of a problem as being a touch screen device they can't do anything until the call stops. The resolution seems to be a restart which then clears the device and it works fine for another week or so. I want to be sure this is an issue with the Jabber client and not the MC40 though before I push it back to Cisco. Thanks IJ

Please Register or Login to post a reply

2 Replies

J Jack Burleson

Hi Ian, Don't know if this is part of your problem, but it may contribute.  Two Items: Issue 1: At my customer site where we are testing Jabber / MC40 we recently identified an MC40 DHCP Renewal issue (mem leak) that resulted in WLAN disconnection / issues over time (time dependant upon frequency of DHCP renewals - the 5th renewal caused crashes) with the MC40 in certain DHCP server configurations (of DHCP Options).  There is a patch / fix for this issue under SPR 24012 .  This issue is present under OS's prior to the current 41913 MC40 BSP - but the fix is for this version.  At this point we have extensively tested the patch using the following, and have not had a re-occurrance of the crashes. MC40 BSP 41913 Jabber 9.1.2.3324  (which is the version that was attached in a previous devcentral response to you) Issue 2: I have had issues somewhat similar to what you report if I did not set the Wireless Settings Advanced WiFi Sleep Policy to NEVER.  We had issues when it was set to the default "when screen turns off" (even though in theory that mode is supported by jabber).  Thus set the WiFi Sleep policy to NEVER.  Set at Settings > Wireless & Networks > WiFi Settings > menu button > advanced > wifi sleep policy.  In speaking to multiple people in different Engineering roles, it appears that NEVER is the recommended "best practice" setting when VoIP is in play. We are just now starting customer POC / trials so we will let you know if we see / identify a similar issue. Cheers!

C Christopher Fikert

We have not officially started our pilot at the stores, but testing at corporate is going well and has been for about 2 weeks.  I have not seen the issues you are reporting, but I did notice that a new Jabber client has been released since we first started a month or so ago.  I've attached the version we are running as well as the documentation from the BU for setup. Side note: a new OS for the MC40 was released, along with the voice optimized SKU.  I highly recommend the voice SKU over the non-voice SKU for VoIP functionality.

CONTACT
Can’t find what you’re looking for?